I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Gergely said:

Hi Mark, 

Cool shop and nice works again! I really like that axe - did you make it from scratch? What was the starting stock?

Hello,

Thanks! The body of it was forged from a drop that a friend of mine who works at a fab shop gave me with a bunch of other stuff. I went and measured it, and is about 7/8"x 1 1/4" (22mmish by 32mmish) mild steel, with a leaf spring cutting edge forge welded in.

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

Hello,

Thanks! The body of it was forged from a drop that a friend of mine who works at a fab shop gave me with a bunch of other stuff. I went and measured it, and is about 7/8"x 1 1/4" (22mmish by 32mmish) mild steel, with a leaf spring cutting edge forge welded in.

Littleblacksmith

Nice, thank you! And :D on the mmish - good call, also thanks for bothering to convert it to my system :)

G

8 hours ago, Gergely said:

Nice, thank you! And :D on the mmish - good call, also thanks for bothering to convert it to my system :)

G

no problem!

Littleblacksmith

Finished the first two candlesticks of this design. There are four of these all together. I found four pieces of these big L-shaped, old timber irons. (If anyone has a clue about their name, please do tell.) I saw the possibility of the candlestick in them, and this was the design I came up with. 

These are about 1' /300mm tall, the square is 3/4"/20mm thick. The width of the half circle is about 6 1/2" / 160 mm. The cup at the top is a 40x40mm piece.

Thanks for watching :)

Bests:

Gergely

590a378eafb98_201705gyertyatartokgerendaszegkesz1.thumb.jpg.8fb3a3d3671973ce09a4b5cb36c6a823.jpg

590a379047368_201705gyertyatartokgerendaszegkesz2.thumb.jpg.97ada0f9dc9616e88986a36812c951d6.jpg

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Were they like a log dog?

Sort of, but without going into the wood on one side. I'm not completely sure. I'm about to talk with an old carpenter/roofer who may remember the application method and the Hungarian name. My old blacksmtih friend doesn't know the name... 

6 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Neat design Gergely. 

Thanks, Das!

Really nice candlesticks, Gergely.

35 minutes ago, Gergely said:

I found four pieces of these big L-shaped, old timber irons. (If anyone has a clue about their name, please do tell.)

Pictures?

neat candle sticks Gergely, seems though it may be a little top heavy?

Littleblacksmith

In my shop today.....I broke the handle on my shop broom.  I've had it for years, but not to let anything go to waste and for its sentimental value ....I repaired it.  After an hour or so, I was done.  Then, I thought I should take pics of it .... just to show off ya know ....  but then I realized, all this effort was for a $5 broom ......I embarrassed myself .  The duct tape was to hide the screws holding it together.   For that professional finish, ya know??

broom2.JPG

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Really nice candlesticks, Gergely.

Pictures?

Thanks, JHCC! That's all I have from the start. I really have to begin to document my starting stock better.

590a922306779_201704gyertyatartokgerendaszeg1.thumb.jpg.325d2a8364a03d4b7b5f6257e576b4de.jpg

4 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

neat candle sticks Gergely, seems though it may be a little top heavy?

Littleblacksmith

Thanks, Mark! They have so much bulk in the bottom half I can't say they would be top heavy. 

Bests:

Gergely

3 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Thanks, Mark! They have so much bulk in the bottom half I can't say they would be top heavy. 

ok, glad to hear! wouldn't be a fun time when you turn on the news to "a home in town today was engulfed in flames due to a hand forged candle holder falling over because it was top heavy, no body was hurt, but the owners say that they will most deffinantly be filing lawsuits". I'm just messin with you:P

Littleblacksmith

Also good job on getting an even finish. I was worried when looking at the first couple pictures that you wouldn't with the patches of rust, and then scale, and then rust.

15 minutes ago, Gergely said:

Thanks, JHCC! That's all I have from the start. I really have to begin to document my starting stock better.

Two interesting things about that stock:

(1) The hole in the short leg. I'm guessing that the spiked end would be pounded into a log or a beam, and then a smaller piece would be fastened to the bracket with a nail or a screw.  Definitely not a log dog. 

(2) The suggestion of a Habermann bend on the outside of the corners.  That tells me that the smith intended these to bear some weight, but didn't think it worth the time and trouble to do a full upset corner. 

This is all supposition, of course, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

16 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Mark,

What you just stated is impossible.

The fire notice would be in Hungarian! Which neither of us understand.

Just sayyin & trying to be of help. (very trying).

SLAG.

See though, you didn't know of my secret talent of speaking Hungarian! I'm joking, that would actually be kinda cool though!

Littleblacksmith

1 minute ago, littleblacksmith said:

See though, you didn't know of my secret talent of speaking Hungarian! I'm joking, that would actually be kinda cool though!

Littleblacksmith

Almost all the Hungarian I know is a couple of really filthy curses I learned from a coworker in the art restoration studio. NOT something I'm going to repeat on the forum, even if I did know how to spell them.

On the other hand, at least I know how to pronounce "Budapest" properly. 

Okay, first of all: :D you guys made my morning and that's not bad as I'm already back from the shop after some cool pounding.

First things first:

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Two interesting things about that stock:

(1) The hole in the short leg. I'm guessing that the spiked end would be pounded into a log or a beam, and then a smaller piece would be fastened to the bracket with a nail or a screw.  Definitely not a log dog. 

(2) The suggestion of a Habermann bend on the outside of the corners.  That tells me that the smith intended these to bear some weight, but didn't think it worth the time and trouble to do a full upset corner. 

This is all supposition, of course, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

1. I'm sorry but forgot to mention that I punched the holes. Oopsie, I thought I told it in the first place but did not.

2. Around here all the log dogs have these Habermann bends. Although no one knows it's called that and who Habermann was at all... Also you must do full upset right angle corners othervise the iron doesn't fit on the squared timber log.

3 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Also good job on getting an even finish. I was worried when looking at the first couple pictures that you wouldn't with the patches of rust, and then scale, and then rust.                                                                                                                                    

Yeah, I'm happy with it :) 24 or so hours pickling in 3-4% winegear then neutralizing with washing soda, flame dried with PB torch, then took the angle grinder on it with wirebrush cup wheel. Worked like a charm. Finally heated with the same torch and got the beeswax/carnauba finish on it.

On the other subject:

I'b be very happy to help anyone here in IFI learning Hungarian - after all it was my job for years :)

If any of you find yourself with overflooding Hungarian skills emerging from nowhere, just give me a howl! 

Finally: yes, the cursing vocabulary of Hungarian language is really wide and very-very offensive cowering all fields of relatives, sacred things and conceptions, body parts, bodily functions, proffesions, animals, colours, diseases, parasites, states of decay and so on... Better be without them.

Bests:

Gergely

PS: I did these in the early morning, the wide bladed supposed to be 420J steel:

590ac6c18fadc_201705fokosketdb.thumb.jpg.391be4fbb545209eacc9c2f853b9b0fe.jpg590ac6c311a42_201705fokos1.thumb.jpg.112fba08b38eed0913dbc3c8b451c261.jpg

13 hours ago, rthibeau said:

In my shop today.....I broke the handle on my shop broom.  I've had it for years, but not to let anything go to waste and for its sentimental value ....I repaired it.  After an hour or so, I was done.  Then, I thought I should take pics of it .... just to show off ya know ....  but then I realized, all this effort was for a $5 broom ......I embarrassed myself .  The duct tape was to hide the screws holding it together.   For that professional finish, ya know??

:o you didn't paint it shop colors!? 

Hmm. Learn Hungarian eh? My great grandparents on my fathers mothers side were Hungarian.  

Ooohhh a purple candle!

Littleblacksmith

Mostly boring fab work this week but it pays the bills.  Did have time today for a run of tongs, an array of various sized handles, and when my son got home from school we started on a new x pein hammer for him.  

Tongs start as 5" of 5/8" round.  One heat (per piece) under the power hammer to rough the jaw and boss, one heat with hand hammer and anvil to refine the shape, third heat under the fly press to add a v-grove to the jaws, and a final heat to draw the reins.  Pictured took me 1 hour 10 min. 

The hammer will probably finish as a 3.25# cross pein.  Started as 2" round 4140, we are doing all the work by hand (my son as striker) at the anvil, no power hammer, as a learning exercise for him (and for me too if I'm going to be honest about it.  I work alone in the shop so often that I forget the flow of work done without power tools!)

IMG_1958.thumb.jpg.70e7d0021b22e95062574aed9b8c0261.jpg

IMG_1532.thumb.jpg.2460599c725ee6a9a69b9c8e2064bbf2.jpg

IMG_1960.thumb.jpg.e5d2d7e9681476e64e53b4dbdeff3221.jpg