Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work peeps! 

jlpservicesinc: I'm not too concerned about the angle iron legs- in that the upright support will likely give out first. I was just using what was available to me, without having to stop by a scrap yard or buy too much new material. The Angle iron is 1.5'' wide and .25'' thick material, it'll be bolted to the concrete once I find a location I like. A plate was definitely my preference, but I couldn't find one right away- still can't find one actually. However it's sounding like I'll already have to build a new stand asap. 

The 4 x 7 x .25 wall tube my co-worker gave me will be much better. I plan to use that once I source a plate for the base. Top plate is 1'' thick so I'll stick with that. Also would have to find someone to weld it together.  

Irondragon Forge & Clay: thanks for pointing that out. I cut a piece of tubing for it, and now realize it's not on there. I'll add that right away.

This is the thin wall tubing I used, because it's all I had at the time. New stand will use this, with .25 wall.

20190205_160202.thumb.jpg.668f89b31bb0ce3b27d5663a1bd8933a.jpg20190204_180350.thumb.jpg.b3e175766444dbd35bcbbb32d9dd3812.jpg

Same co worker also gave me some miscellaneous pieces of steel. 

20190205_180650.thumb.jpg.3e913b70cdc0e84cd493b6c889d10873.jpg

Irondragon forge,  I like the repurpose of the flex plate..   The stand I had in the old trailer was 22 gauge sheet metal silo blower tube..  Used it for 10 years.. Worked well.. 

Mudman, I like the stands overall design.. it's the base..   I just know how I work and have in the past tried a similar setup... Even back then I used it a few times and called it, was it was to unstable for me. I was 10 or 11 at the time. the vise was a 4" jaw..  I imagine if you step on the angle iron in use it would be OK.. 

Played hooky from work and did a few things:

Made my first hot cut (unfortunately all mild steel still rummaging for the right size alloy steel that lets me avoid excessive upsetting or drawing out).

Shaped the body, welded on a shank (squared up some 7/8" round), and it's sittin' pretty.  Haven't gotten to use it yet, though.

20190207_130615.thumb.jpg.8af15b51758a32dd37f776fb5be7f0fc.jpg20190207_140246.thumb.jpg.7f23de3312a002f0d0a016b9893e6d6f.jpg20190207_140257.thumb.jpg.23422b50b9926234435eed34b773fab0.jpg

Also checked out a scrapyard I'd not been to before, didn't get anything, but did nab a few things from my regular one.

Made up a new portable stand for my bench vise by flipping the round stanchion and welding it to the rim.  Still gotta do the mounting for the vise and the short stock storage in the base (for additional weight).

20190207_161229.thumb.jpg.66cf94ec7ed5cf2921200427c6d40ab6.jpg

HojPog; torsion bar from a pickup/car?  Vehicle axle? cut off end of a jackhammer bit? (one on the left, found a broken off end at the scrapyard and forged the shaft down by hand, been using it around 20 years now... had to draw out a peg that would stick out under the heel of the anvil as students kept jamming it in anvils it was fitted to.

hardyHoles.jpg.cf747bafa2418e7818440d435e8a3e8a.jpg

I went to my first 2 classes this week. Both local-ish, 1.5-2 hours away. Saturday was an 8 hour class about making tools. Hot cut, cold chisel, and ¼ inch round punch. This Saturday we will be using these tools to make tongs(useable tongs hopefully). Yesterday was a different class, only 3 hours but we made a ⅝inx⅛in slitter to cut a hole in a rr spike to make a "hatchet" next Thursday. Didn't have enough time to sharpen the cut and chisel on Saturday, but I got them hardened and tempered, so I took the extra half hour yesterday after hardening and tempering the slitter to sharpen them.

298909275_IMG_20190208_1256056192.thumb.jpg.4ead9cf35a7968dd300f51b9bea398ac.jpg

This pic isn't quite chronological, I made the hot cut first, then the cold chisel, then the pinch and the slitter was made last. All were made from sucker rod. The teacher told us to sharpen the front face of the hot cut and leave the back face thick so it'd be easier to rock it forward when cutting long sections and the back will spread the cut as you move forward. I hope it shows in the picture. I like the idea, but I haven't tried it out yet. I did try the cold chisel and it does cut. I'll see how the punch and hot cut work tomorow.

IMG_20190208_125653282.jpg

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

HojPog; torsion bar from a pickup/car?  Vehicle axle? cut off end of a jackhammer bit? 

Sadly my scrapyard doesn't typically have those sorts of things.  I've got a few candidate things (like a fat bolt) that I need to test, but i had cut the materials i used a few days prior.  

Need to make some gifts to make friendly with some mechanics other than the ones at the airfield- efforts thus far have been unsuccessful.

Edited by HojPoj

So sad to hear you don't have any big box hardware places  out there that rent equipment and often sell worn jackhammer bits for a couple of dollars as has been mentioned here numerous times from folks all over the USA.

Ask your friends and co-workers if they know any shade tree mechanics. I find small independent shops tend to be much more interested in talking with you and supporting your hobby.

Any tool rental place will have dull jack hammer bits you can buy or maybe get for free. Home Depot ad Lowes charge between $1 - $5 per bit depending on who's at the rental counter. I asked at a tool rental place and they made me take the whole bucket 8 bits IIRC so I made them throw the bucket in on the deal. I dropped off 4 coat hooks gratis a week or so later.  Just because.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's not so far I guess. Maybe look i nto reconditioning jack hammer bits? An acquaintance of mine used to make a fair living sharpening and heat treating jack hammer bits. He used a 25lb. Little Giant but I believe the 50lb. was designed to sharpen plow shears and various tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mudman,  Really nice rack you got there..   I"m jealous...  And look at all those fancy hammers.. ;)  Dang, that is some hammer reveal.. 

I just have old style, worn hammers in basic patterns..   

Love the color too..  Well done.. 

did you notch the bottom of the slide through bars to keep them locked in place..   I used that kind of bar and I pulled a hammer out once and then the rest fell on the floor..  I notched the ends  with a hacksaw and it completely solved the problem..  I also welded a tie together in the middle as I found they sagged over time from the back bar to the front as the front moved away as it was carrying most the weight.. 

Love it..