Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One last project before shop rebuild. 

Buddy wanted shift knob for rat rod. He said make it look like a scull. So. Best I can do. 

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

Thanks guys. First attempt at grapes. Grapevines. Leaves didn't turn out the best. 

Couldnt quite get the viens to look right. 

Finished up the hafts for the two pila. I'm not going to post a picture, because I am not happy with them. Consoling myself with the thought that they are decorative and processional, not functional weapons. Still, I learned a lot of lessons for the next time.

That is a GREAT shift knob! Is the eyeball googly?

Those grape leaves are near perfect for what they are. You didn't actually think you were REALLY making GRAPE LEAVES did you? They represent grape leaves well enough the human mind fills in the blanks and disregards the wrongnesses. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That shifter knob is awesome 58er.

LBS, slow down a little, yer makin me feel like a chump. If i have half yer skill when i finally deciide to grow up, i will be pleased.

Made the table (6ft) for a family friend that is letting my sister, her husband, and my mom stay at his place until they find their dream house.

Cooked a bunch of crawfish for the family and friends, and this is what they all left me to deal with at 10pm. Will make some good red beans & rice or etouffee. There was still 2 more batches to cook after i took that pic... alot of mud bugs left... IT IS GOOD TO BE HOME (just for a visit)... hahahaaaa

20170412_192904.jpg

20170412_220856.jpg

Lots of children around for today's demos (school holidays). Made a couple of baby shifty lizards and a pipe wrench grasshopper. Finished off and tweaked in the forge - the kids like seeing them emerge from the coals with orange legs.

Got a plague of those locusts now. Well, three anyway.

DSC_7752.JPG

DSC_7753.JPG

Welded feet onto the portable hole and re-welded its base to its top (the previous joint having suffered catastrophic failure).

IMG_2578.JPG

Also welded together some I-beam as a stand for my post vise. 

IMG_2577.JPG

The bits of pipe on the side are a rack for punches and chisels and such (oh my).

IMG_2580.JPG

6 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Be careful welding the galvanized. A fan pulling the fume plume away helps immensely.

I actually got rid of practically all of the galvy with vinegar beforehand, and the shop has good ventilation. 

I appreciate the concern, though. I think if I were to do something similar again, I'll haul it out to the loading dock and do it en plein air.  

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Flux core 0.35 wire. 

I thaught it was 6011 

I hope you had a respirator on that's the first I ever heard of vinegar gettin rid of Galvy usually I grind it down to bare metal before I weld.I,ll have to try it is that regulat strength vinegar or industrial strength lol 

It did an okay job, not great. The acetic acid turns the galvy to zinc acetate, which washes off. 

If I were to do it again, I'd use cleaning vinegar (also known as horticultural vinegar), which has stronger acidity than regular household vinegar. 

I'm not tryin to be rude I just never heard of it so tomorrow I'm goin to try it to see if the green gas goes away i think I,ll do a vid to  show the green gas of gag with vinegar and without.We grind down to bare metal plus a 3 m respirator cause that gas messis up your bloodstream if I'm not mistaken I'll have to google lol 

Had to light the forge for a quick moment because a Damascus billet wasn't quite wide enough for the knife I am making. While it was lit I decided to use the hammer I made to make something. Just a little leaf key chain.

Also finally made an "official" blower mount. the hole was cut with a cold chisel, it will work. No more duct tape!

And the handle,

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6106[1].JPG

IMG_6110[1].JPG

IMG_6111[1].JPG

IMG_6114[1].JPG

Notched the stand for the bolts to hold the vise in place. I'm using U-bolts from a leaf spring assembly.  

IMG_2599.JPG

(This is a proof-of-concept setup; I still need to forge the brackets that those bolts will engage.)

Good set up with the U-bolts and I-beam. Most of these vices that turn up here have a flat plate structure that bolts to the top of the post or bench, but that wouldn't work with an  I-beam post. And how often are these vices missing that spring piece between the jaws!

Yesterday I was working with a new smith who needed a spring for his vise.  I had to sell him on the fact that the wedge that was there was not the original but one made after they lost the spring and so it might need replacing when the spring is part of the system again.

Today was a bottle opener from a piece of buggy tire and a rasptlesnake to the cold work stage.

7 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Good set up with the U-bolts and I-beam. Most of these vices that turn up here have a flat plate structure that bolts to the top of the post or bench, but that wouldn't work with an  I-beam post. And how often are these vices missing that spring piece between the jaws!

This beastie is a Frankenvise: the post/fixed jaw are from one vise, the movable jaw is from another, the screw is probably from a third, the handle is a replacement, and the nut is a combination of a honking big square nut and a welded-up bracket  that keeps it from turning -- but only when resting against something that keeps it from turning. Therefore, the height of the post was pretty critical, and I'm quite pleased how it turned out.

If/when I ever replace the vise, I'm prepared to weld a horizontal plate on top to which I could bold a standard mounting plate.