I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Pushed through this girl after some failed nails. It's an off night I think. Nails were out of higher carbon steel. This dancing girl was hanging out. I hate the " jazz hands" thing. I'll sleep on it. ( not literally) 

image.jpg

Ben, it turned out nice. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found a few old, heavily pitted railroad spikes in the pile of bits and bobs.  While I don't much like working with the things, I have to admit that it was refreshing to do something simple.  I didn't do too much hammering up around the head so you get to see a nice transition from the heavy pitting to the smooth taper.  OAL is just over 6".

IMG_5493.thumb.jpg.5fdc9eabfa6fa57f8ae7ac0880b94e05.jpg

Very nice, Vaughn. Simple is good. They would sell well to rail enthusiasts. I have sold dozens of them with the loop opener end, but never made a hook style one.  I like the simplicity of yours. Nice idea for tomorrow's demo... consider it stolen.

41 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Nice idea for tomorrow's demo... consider it stolen.

Steel away, my friend!  I started with about 6" of shaft and drew it out to a smooth taper about 9" long.  By the time I curled it around, I wound right back up at 6" OAL.

I thought about trying it on one of those Dog Head spikes you sent me, but I'm saving those for a special occasion.

21 minutes ago, VaughnT said:

Steel away, my friend!  I started with about 6" of shaft and drew it out to a smooth taper about 9" long.  By the time I curled it around, I wound right back up at 6" OAL.

I thought about trying it on one of those Dog Head spikes you sent me, but I'm saving those for a special occasion.

Yeah, take care with those dog spikes, Vaughn. That wretched wrought iron has a mind of its own!!  :angry:

Yesterday I forged some cable Damascus to make a knife for the guy who bought the last one who wants another one. Also forged a hidden tang Damascus knife, and a bowie knife. Then I made quite a few punches/chisels/fullers/ out of sucker rod, a horse head bottle opener, and a flower bottle opener.

Today I forged some more Damascus, a leaf using one of the v top swaged I made yesterday, and a 2.2lb cross pein. Forged it with just a hand hammer and hammer eye punch. forged the billet out of some 2" round. I was surprised how easy it was to punch it. It took 3 heats, but I think if I was to do it again I could easily do it in 2. oh, and burned a hole in my shirt about the size of a soft ball! flames and everything! :lol:

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6069[1].JPG

IMG_6070[1].JPG

top to bottom. V swage, rounded swage, thick fuller, Farum fuller.

IMG_6072[1].JPG

Farum fuller

IMG_6073[1].JPG

hallow punch and ball punch.

IMG_6074[1].JPG

IMG_6076[1].JPG

leaf key chain made using the V swage, creates a raised vain.

IMG_6078[1].JPG

Edited by littleblacksmith
forged pics smaller

5 minutes ago, BlasterJoe said:

New little shop knife and some round punches

If those punches are meant to punch an actual plug out of the steel (cleanest way to punch a hole) than I would recommend you grind the tips flat so that they can do so.  nice looking knife! what's it made out of?

Littleblacksmith

6 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Yesterday I forged some cable Damascus to make a knife for the guy who bought the last one who wants another one. Also forged a hidden tang Damascus knife, and a bowie knife. Then I made quite a few punches/chisels/fullers/ out of sucker rod, a horse head bottle opener, and a flower bottle opener.

Today I forged some more Damascus, a leaf using one of the v top swaged I made yesterday, and a 2.2lb cross pein. Forged it with just a hand hammer and hammer eye punch. forged the billet out of some 2" round. I was surprised how easy it was to punch it. It took 3 heats, but I think if I was to do it again I could easily do it in 2. oh, and burned a hole in my shirt about the size of a soft ball! flames and everything! :lol:

Littleblacksmith

Holy smoke, Mark! What do you do in your spare time?

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

Holy smoke, Mark! What do you do in your spare time?

I blacksmith! or I'm on here learning, or watching YouTube tutorials on blacksmithing, or grinding, handling, or finishing knives!

Littleblacksmith

On ‎9‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, VaughnT said:

Found a few old, heavily pitted railroad spikes in the pile of bits and bobs.  While I don't much like working with the things, I have to admit that it was refreshing to do something simple.  I didn't do too much hammering up around the head so you get to see a nice transition from the heavy pitting to the smooth taper.  OAL is just over 6".

IMG_5493.thumb.jpg.5fdc9eabfa6fa57f8ae7ac0880b94e05.jpg

Thanks for the pic Vaughn, and I tried a couple of these today at my demo, along with a pair of ram's head openers.

The second pic shows mild steel spikes on the left. I thought I would challenge myself with that cantankerous wrought iron, so I found a couple of weathered old wrought spikes and had a go. I usually avoid wrought, especially at demos because of the sparks and the uncertainty of what it will do. I have never been able to make a loop bottle opener with wrought, but the hook ones seemed to go OK, provided the iron was kept hot beyond the normal orange range. Had to be just about sparking to keep it together. The two on the right are wrought.

Wrought is tricky stuff, but I do like the lustre and the grainy effect. I have lots of it to work with, but tend to avoid it because of the difficulty working it.

hook openers 3.JPG

hook openers1.JPG

hook openers2.JPG