• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pre-stripping the galvy off I use a diluted muriatic acid then a baking soda/ water solution. After neutrilized I'll hit the parts with wd40 to keep from rusting fast.  

I usually wire wheel pieces before clearcoating them. Forged pieces are different with the wax applied.

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Finished another scorpion and figured I would see what sand blasting does to this stuff.

I often use bead blasting to get down into the places where a wire wheel can't reach. It gives a satin finish to most metal and seems like a good base for paint or clearcoat.

Your scorpion looks good, Das. The backward angle of the legs is right. Those lag screws work well and I am wondering if they were plated. If so, how did you remove the plating before welding?

Edit: Just read the later posts. My question is already answered!

Edited by ausfire

Worked on another sample finial for my collection.  Another dozen or so and I'll be able to fit up a nice display board.  

IMG_6902.thumb.jpg.14953412b1850499c783cf2a853ec234.jpg

Tonight will see me working on a few more.  I have them all drawn out and ready to go.... so it's just a matter of getting up the gumption.

All starting as 6" of 1"x1/4" bar.  I'm saving the "final look" for when I get them all finished.  Then, I can lay them out on the board and might decide to draw out some tapers a bit more or cut the pieces shorter.  No telling until I get them all together and see how they fit best.

8 hours ago, GrumpyBiker said:

it was one of four cast iron pieces as well as these presses.

I like the old presses. They often came with accessories for pressing a variety of things...fruit, cheese, stuffing sausages, etc. If you don't have the accessories, you could make them. Looks like your anvil got a thorough wire-brushing and is now all pretty and decked out it its Sunday best. Too bad you'll be getting it dirty. :) 

6 hours ago, VaughnT said:

Worked on another sample finial for my collection.  Another dozen or so and I'll be able to fit up a nice display board.  

Looking forward to seeing the collection. Should make an attractive display. I like the asymmetrical one in the middle with what strikes me as an Arts & Crafts style look. 

Al (Steamboat)

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Pre-stripping the galvy off I use a diluted muriatic acid then a baking soda/ water solution. After neutrilized I'll hit the parts with wd40 to keep from rusting fast.  

Das, how long does it take you to strip hot-dip galvanizing (which is generally a thicker zinc layer than plated zinc)? I've stripped the plated stuff before, but not the hot-dip.

Al (Steamboat)

It took a while. Couldn't say how long exactly but its nasty stuff. I had a false start as I thought they were good but as soon as I went to weld it spattered, had the yellow nastiness and I knew, so they went back in. Basically tossed them in and forgot about them for a while. 

Haha thank you Mr. Powers I was going to post a similar response about bails and bales until I saw you had done the job for me

did something a little different last Sunday. Forged this cross, it's been an Idea of mine for a while and finally gave it a try. the larger "spike" is from a spike harrow, which it actually turned out to be wrought iron. I punched and drifted the hole and made a similar spike out of 1/2" HR mild steel. I drifted the hole slightly undersized on purpose, and so I drove the middle arm in, and then secured it also with two wedges. 

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_1447[1].JPG

IMG_1448[1].JPG

Mark, I have been meaning to do something like this. My idea was to get one large nail and two equally smaller and with the head on either side wedge them together on the smaller end in the mortis. Probably will have to make the nails as I cant find similar stuff. 

The basic idea...

IMG_26092018_230838_(14_x_21_cm).jpg

On 9/25/2018 at 4:46 AM, Daswulf said:

jewelry stand I made so I sold it lol.

Ah, don't you just hate it when the customers buy your furniture before you can get away?

Really attractive jewelry stand Das, lots of potential to the idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome Mark. Lol. 

Frosty, it's a compliment in my opinion. :) I plan on making more before the show.

tonights monstrosity is yet another scorpion shaped object. This one makes me think of the face huggers from Aliens. Ugh...

People at the last freaky fair liked the couple scorpions so I'm making sure I have more for this one. 

IMG_26092018_235549_(21_x_14_cm).jpg

IMG_26092018_235643_(19_x_14_cm).jpg

IMG_26092018_235658_(19_x_14_cm).jpg

IMG_26092018_235731_(19_x_14_cm).jpg

YEAH it's a compliment and the best kind! People want to give you money for doing work you enjoy doing. Does it get better? Well, okay customers getting into a spontaneous bid war would beat that I suppose. 

Here's an idea for a kitchen scorpion. A wall mount scorpion banana holder. Scorpions often come into the country in bunches of bananas as do brown recluse spiders. 

Cool stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

Another great scorpion, das. You must have a good supply of bolts and lag screws! I do too, but mostly all different sizes.

Do you find that some people really like the scrap art, while others shake their heads and tell you that you have too much time on your hands?

Lil secret Aus, sometimes I use new bolts when I need too many matching ones. Lots of times from disassemblies you can get a bunch of matching bolts. The worst is when you find a bunch that match and just can't find one more that you need!

I find that a lot more people like it or appreciate it, even if it's not something they would buy. Some do shake their heads and say I have too much timw on my hands. (I wish! Haha then I could really create!)

Then some are completely uninterested.

Nice idea Frosty. And no, it doesnt get much better than getting paid for doing something I love. :)

Completed my first piece of furniture since I started this blacksmith hobby over a year ago.  I immediately gave it to a friend who gave me the anvil which really got me going.  The anvil came with a farm he bought. He is going to put the coat rack  in his new real estate office.

Coat Rack 1.jpg

Coat Rack 4.jpg

Coat Rack 2.jpg

GBiker, looks very nice.  waiting to see the finished product with scales. 

Bobnick, coat rack looks robust.  nice job. 

Das, great scorpion.  your monsters give me the willys. 

I have found that my gallon pain can is lacking in depth for some of the things I want to quench.  So today I wandered over to the scrap yard.  since I'm with cane and amulatorily challaned, I took my two wheel cart.  I was quite a site.  but I hauled 50 pounds of steel including a few coil spring, a rail plate and about 4 foot of 3inch id fairly heavy walled pipe.  Cut the pipe and dressed it in prep for making a deeper quench tank.  The pipe even came with a knurled aluminum cap for some purpose unknown to me.  her it is ready to be welded to the plate.  

forge225.jpg