I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

16 hours ago, CWest said:

I managed to knock out a paper holder as a gift. I wish I would have kept track of the amount of material used, in case of similar projects in the future. 

Weigh it, then cut the same weight of stock.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:29 AM, Steamboat said:

have either of you considered creating some visual metaphors or visual puns in steel of well-known things or idioms like "snake oil," "snake in the grass," "snake eyes," "lounge lizard," "toad in the hole," etc.? Might be kind of fun. 

Well, I know we have both made file snakes from rat tail files. And real  file snakes do exist here.

I also make hundreds of what I call 'shifty lizards', because they are made from a shifting spanner. (You probably call them adjustable wrenches). I have also made a dinosaur from a pipe wrench. A Tyrannosaurus Wrench.

Here's a bunch of shifty lizards:

DSC_1796.jpg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

I will also sometimes dunk my brush before I use it. 

Haven't heard that one before. I'll have to try that one. 

Mudman, excellent idea. 

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

The pseudo-penannular type

I'll have to give it a try. Might have to make it a bit beefier a snake tho.

Steamboat, same on growing up with them called Crescent wrenches. 

I haven't done any real visual puns yet. Could be fun. 

Lit the coal forge in the suburbs last week, hammered out some legs and feet on a figurative sculpture, some flower finials that will be come hooks for the lovely wife's trivet collection, and finally got 200 lbs of coal out of those UV degradable bags and into a bin before they became a spontaneous pile of coal.

Coalbin.JPG.99c0918cb087aa3080b9b9e8c6c44293.JPG

HotFlowers.JPG.acd14f8ca6c9894dbf01a251c2b9a581.JPG

Redshoes.JPG.c8f5acf9feb1d28db28dea3607303eb2.JPG

Mighty fine work there Boys.. 

As for keeping scale off/clean work..  Wire brush, Butcher block brush, Neutral fire core..  For removing stubborn scale use a hot rasp and sharpen the end into a flat scraper. .Then you can scrap the scale off without digging into the work..  Also hot rasp is your friend.. It will cut down on time spent at the wire wheel or grinder dramatically.. 

CWest: both methods mentioned will work great for getting a ball park for the metal.. liquid displacement and weight method.. Just remember to add a little for scale losses.. 

Far easier to keep a Steel yard in the shop for those times you just need it fast.. 

Thank you. I’m a big fan of mesquite too. One of my other anvils is on a mesquite stump too. I worked on a ranch for a while in Lordsburg, NM, anus of the United States. The fella I worked for had solid mesquite cabinets through out his entire house. They were stunning but the cabinet maker said he’d never do it again. Where about in God’s country were you raised?