• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of the noise vacuums make is the impeller blades a carpet "box(?) around it makes a huge difference. The output isn't really very loud unless it's right next to the impeller which is why you can hear leaf blowers a block away you can SEE the impeller.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, it'll help. This kind of job is mostly chasing the bugs and stomping them till it's good enough. I bet you find a better blower before you get a shop vac quieted below the annoying as heck level.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, JHCC said:

A good pair of earplugs really helps, too.

I have noise canceling head phones and listen to my Kindle. Unfortunately I don't pay close enough attention to follow the story if I'm listening to an audio book and I don't have a long playlist. Still it's nice to have a shop that doesn't make your ears ring. 

Plugs or muffs, hearing protection is important PPE.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Plugs or muffs, hearing protection is important PPE.

Frosty The Lucky.

A lesson which I learned the hard way, from not using it enough back in my cabinetmaking days. The hearing is still relatively normal, but the occasional tinnitus is annoying as [language inappropriate for IFI's overall target audience].

On the other hand, during one of the summers that I spent mucking a foot of compacted sheep manure out of a barn, the Iran-Contra hearings were on the radio. That was some appropriate listening material.

35 minutes ago, beech said:

Yes.

Dang it.....I got there about 12:30....I had been to Oden to pick up some coal. I saw a few younger guys working, it didn't even cross my feeble mind to ask about you. Sorry bout that........               Dave

My hearing was damaged years before the tree did the nerve damage to my left ear. I grew up in a metal spinning shop, listen to rock and roll then spent 20 years standing behind a drill rig powered by a 353 Detroit Diesel. The drill would make your ears ring and I wore plugs and muffs. I had tinnitus when I was 20 and the tree really turned up the volume on the left side.

Hearing protection is a good thing, wish it was the norm when I was a kid. I almost never saw people wearing hearing protection even at the shooting range. Sissies don't you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Today i made a peening die for my power hammer got a guy wants about 16 ' of 2''x1/2 flat bar peened for his stair rail for his new house so i don't think i want to hand peen that much lol.It works real good and doesn't hurt my wrist so im happy with it and no hammer elbow is always a good thing .

2 minutes ago, bubba682 said:

Today i made a peening die for my power hammer got a guy wants about 16 ' of 2''x1/2 flat bar peened for his stair rail for his new house so i don't think i want to hand peen that much lol.It works real good and doesn't hurt my wrist so im happy with it and no hammer elbow is always a good thing .

Pictures?

7 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Dang it.....I got there about 12:30....I had been to Oden to pick up some coal. I saw a few younger guys working, it didn't even cross my feeble mind to ask about you. Sorry bout that........               Dave

I left about 12:00.

On Sunday I finished the tongs for C-1 tool steel, he can post pics if he feels up to it. After I finished those he arrived and him and his brother and I had enough time to quickly forge a cupping tool. Was tons of fun! I had always wanted to do the team striking when upsetting the hardy tool! Great meeting you and your family C-1!

Littleblacksmith

1 hour ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Yeah, it was a blast! I will try to get pics soon!

...*we* had enough time to forge a cupping tool...:) ...and don't forget about the generous wood splitting I did for y'all!:P

That's what i said! The wood splitting that *we* did!:P

Littleblacksmith

Yesterday, a chile pepper and a curtain rod; both painted hunter green and a lot of a rasptlesnake done till I ran out of propane and found out all 3 tanks were dry.  Today went to work and bought a 4" post vise on my way home, on this side of the border!

Here are some pics of the loot that I brought home from LBS's place. Mark made me some ridiculously awesome 1/2" bolt tongs! There's a pic of the cupping tool we made. I also bought the post vise which is just what I've been keeping one eye open for. Eventually, I will fix it up and make a portable stand to use it as a secondary vise. He also threw in a couple hammer eye punches and other odds and ends. THANK'S MARK!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

17 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Here are some pics of the loot that I brought home from LBS's place. Mark made me some ridiculously awesome 1/2" bolt tongs! There's a pic of the cupping tool we made. I also bought the post vise which is just what I've been keeping one eye open for. Eventually, I will fix it up and make a portable stand to use it as a secondary vise. He also threw in a couple hammer eye punches and other odds and ends. THANK'S MARK!!!

let me know how all of the tools work, I'd be interested. I miss that vice. Like you said, I think it may have been hand forged, but she's a beast! its not like I was going to do anything with it anytime soon, so I'm glad it got a new home! same with those hammer eye punches, would have never been used since I got 2 others that are much nicer forged; the ones I gave you were done with a hand hammer, and have never even been used in the year that I have had them since I made them.

Littleblacksmith

Thank you Das, that is very kind of you to say!