Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, littleblacksmith said:

I wouldn't bother with heat treating it if you will be using it for hot steel. Especially if your are just starting out and your hammer control isn't that good (or even if you are experienced) and you hit the hot cut with your hammer, it is better to have the hot cut get dull than to have a nice deep gouge in your hammer. (for me) It is easier to sharpen a hot cut than to regrind a hammer face.

Today I spent some time from about 1:00Pm to about 6:00pm out in the shop. Made a (in my opinion) really nice hammer eye drift. Also made some other stuff-2 horse shoe hearts, a horse shoe pot hanger, 2 punches, and re forged a drift I made a while back so that now I can use it. Will try to get pictures tomorrow!

Littleblacksmith

Whoops, Biggundoctor and I replied simontaniosly, and already addressed the hot cut and heat treating it.

Thanks for the input guys.  Not doing something is certainly easier than doing it :)

Pair of sai weapons for a friend. 

1.jpg

On 2017. 01. 22. at 0:18 PM, ausfire said:

I learned that a blacksmith is a forgeron and the anvil is l'enclune. I'm thinking of putting up a signboard at the forge with all the names meaning blacksmith. A guy from Israel the other day showed me the Hebrew name. We get a lot of international tourists.

If I can help with my share: Hung: kovács [kova:ch], Finnish: seppä [seppæ], Northern Saami: rávdi [ræuti]

set all the chains on the chair tonight and bent the backing for the heart. off of Big Guns advice I tried a horseshoe heart that didnt pan out then went on to try to forge something that wound up to be cast iron and failed. life goes on....,move on and forward. BigGun,I'll let you know tomorrow.

Couldn't make to the shop today, but I made this small bracelet for my little daughter (2,5yo).  She cried so desperately because her old bracelet, some beads on plastic cord, has broken. What else could I do than say: - Daddy makes you an other that will not break.

2017 01 karkötö Tami.jpg

made a hammer and some wedges for handles.

IMG_5683[1].JPG

IMG_5685[1].JPG

IMG_5686[1].JPG

IMG_5690[1].JPG

IMG_5681[1].JPG

Littleblacksmith

Bad smell in the workshop today. Very sick possum holed up in the roller door. Bad gangrene had set in and it was not a pleasant job trying to extract it from the roller after shooting the poor blighter. Would much rather have been forging something nice.