• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another almost finished project from the "We do it nice, 'cause we do it twice shop".... I mixed up the last bit of epoxy that I had on hand, started to attach the scales and the pins didn't line up.... So I spent the next few minutes trying to clean rapidly setting epoxy off of everything... So now it's on hold until I pick up more epoxy.
I also tried a little bit of file work on this one. Not perfect, but not bad.

DSC_0705.thumb.JPG.be92209cf39c32c4b9f20865214e99bf.JPG

DSC_0706.thumb.JPG.4ab9de3901cc7ea680d58c356a25364c.JPG

20 minutes ago, MotoMike said:

Looks great Shawn.  Like the profile.  is it 5160?

Mmmaaayyybee..... It's leaf spring. So maybe 5160, maybe 1084, maybe 4140.... All I know for certain is that it was free, and it gets hard with an oil quench from critical temp. So far I've been lucky with it, but I've gotten used to it since all of my knife shaped objects have come from the same spring pack. I believe they are from an F350, but couldn't tell you the year.

It is an unknown, at least the specific alloy, but I've become familiar with working this bunch at least.  I've learned you can over heat it before quenching and it will be no good at all, and I have sort of figured out the colors where it moves well.

I'm not a knifemaker by any means, but I'm having fun learning to shape and profile things that will at least take and hold a good edge without breaking. Well.... Other than the one I overheated..... That one broke. 

Nice work Sfeile.

I got hung up this weekend where I wanted to get stuff made but tonight I made a small scorpion and small octopus that I feel iffy about but are good enough to sell and got some progress done on Rakkenfowl. Still more to do but it's coming along. 

IMG_22052018_010954.jpg

IMG_22052018_010907.jpg

IMG_22052018_010853.jpg

IMG_22052018_010835.jpg

sfeile, that knife has a great profile. I especially like that you put the filework on the butt; nice subtle detail.

Das, that Rakkenfowl is looking great! What fun!

58er, I love your work, but I have just thought: perhaps the copper wire should be stretched straight from the fish to the pole? You wouldn't get that kind of bending of the pole's tip unless the line were under tension, as it would be if you were reeling in the fish. Minor detail, perhaps. I love everything else.

I think it's fine really. Sometime portraying motion in art doesn't always mimic exactly what it would be but conveys the idea. I think of a fish jumping and biting the fly on the cast. It's a nice piece. One could go into so much exact detail as to make a small fly and have it on the end of the line but it's not needed because it conveys the idea. 

58er, is the fish forged from solid or sheet metal?  

I can see it Thomas. Haha. 

I plan to make more of these. I'm thinking like with Gremlins they can all have their own personalities and traits. I like the guitar idea. 

Got a picture of the little scorpion and iffy experimental octopus this morning. 

IMG_22052018_112812.jpg

I'm behind again, I gotta stop doing yard work!

I love the Rakkenfowl Das. The guitar sounds good but I think it looks like it's playing a keyboard. Part of a band maybe? I was thinking of a pile of small nuts and bolts under it. The corners and sharp edges :o could explain the expression. No?

That's a wonderful sculpture 58er, it REALLY tells the story. It portrays a real sense of motion telling the story. The looped line is only exaggerated for dramatic effect. It's fly fishing and the fish is in mid jump taking the fly in the air. Fly line rolls out in a loop unless you're working the fly it close. A good live action fly rod flexes quite a bit without more weight than the line.

The sculpture caught the fisherman just as he's bringing the rod back fast to set the hook, that's why the rod has such a tight bend. The fish took the fly before the line reached full extension, the slack isn't quite out of the line but the loops are closing fast.

Setting the hook in a jumping trout, is probably the trickiest part of fly fishing, hooking the fish that way is a real rush. A fly fisherman would read and appreciate the story your sculpture tells.

I really like both these pieces, maybe put a fly rod in the Rakkenfowl's talons and put them both on the mantel?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I kind of saw him as a cautious little creature from deep in a forest somewhere and evolved from a bird. This one being the first to come across our people and society is taken back and a bit cautious about what he is seeing. Once he tells the others more will come out and enjoy adapting to the fun things they find.  I'm really looking forward to getting more time to work with these. Perhaps "  The Fowl Mouths" will become a thing. :lol:

Hans, PM sent. 

This configuration will became the ‘Tumulus Forge’ mobile equipment for fairs and social projects.

Will accomplish them with a nice little vice I’m able to trade against the already mentioned 70lbs ASO.

The whole stuff fits in the trunk of my station car, before I’m able to visits Das’s property at night to ‘borrow’ his fantastic trailer;). B.t.w. I don’t even have a trailer hook behind the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia yet :(.

Heard from my network about some nice project with long term workless youth in Brussels area maybe this is a thankful first assignment for me.  Keep you informed.

Till ten I will continue (not with forging:() again with toolmaking, because the ‘new’ 150lbs UAT comes with a hardy hole of approx. ¾ in, -but all of my tools have approx. 1 ¼ square –same for the home made springer fullers. Anny suggestions for some kind of adapter are more than welcome !!!!!

Till then I make the most common hardy’s from square ¾ mild steel welded by AISI 309 through the 13ChroMo tool body I have to forge/shape. Will share this results to.

Cheers, Hans

DSC00509.JPG

Bankschroef.JPG

Hans, the kit is looking good. That is one strange vise! Looks like the screen and box were replaced but never saw one like that. 

I've been making new tools for my demo anvil since it has a 3/4" hardy hole as well and my main ones are 7/8"

Thomas, honestly that was one of my first thoughts. When I make that one I am not selling it. :) he will have his own setup in my shop.