• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jlp, I'm sure it meant that they were overly happy with how the item turned out and that they either felt you deserved more for your work or that they had a price in mind and you were way under it and we're happy to pay a bit more because it was worth it. I don't see pity in any of that. Consider it a tip. Some people see value. Others want anything just as cheap as possible. 

Just my 2cents. 

Finished welding the guillotine, shown here in position on the portable hole.

6C275D62-8B37-4D5D-837B-8E0892EB6CDE.jpeg

The stem that fits in the hardy hole. 

7C0C05FF-A2D3-40C3-B865-B34A2E88721D.jpeg

View from above. Note that the die is centered over one of the legs, to better resist the force of the hammer blows. 

748EF74F-9D38-4CD3-B5F7-E45435CCAE9A.jpeg

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Jlp, I'm sure it meant that they were overly happy with how the item turned out and that they either felt you deserved more for your work or that they had a price in mind and you were way under it and we're happy to pay a bit more because it was worth it. I don't see pity in any of that. Consider it a tip. Some people see value. Others want anything just as cheap as possible. 

Just my 2cents. 

@Daswulf Being at this as long as I have it's not uncommon..       The reason why I asked is because of " What is the right amount to charge"??????  Undercharging and being given a tip.. Is it better than not charging enough for your work to begin with????

I've had a few jobs that came in and were super fast jobs that were quoted properly and the people dropped huge tips... Then I've also had customers that complain when I charged them for a bolt that wasn't included in the original quote..  It varies so much...

The question of what to charge..  Or   Am I charging to much?     Or " Am I not charging enough"?.     Back in the 90's I was getting 60.00hr + materials+ coal+ misc.. 

Seems a lot of people today are only getting 50.00hr or less per hour today..   Either because they are retired and have a full time income or just because that is what they charge..

The Money "question" is the reason why I retired from blacksmithing to begin with and still the reason I will never become a full time blacksmith ever again..  Just to much juggling between what quality work should be paid vs what is paid and then having to justify it to the client..

Sorry if I crossed a line..    It's something I have struggled with for over 38 years when it comes to charging what ones time is worth in the blacksmithing trades..  Again, my apologies..

@JHCCWhat is the throw on that tool?  What sized stock was it designed to work up to?   Very interesting and nice job..

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

@JHCCWhat is the throw on that tool?  What sized stock was it designed to work up to?   Very interesting and nice job..

I haven't cut the dies yet, so this is still theoretical, but I calculate that it should be able to handle stock up to 1-1/2" thick. There's going to be 3/4" of the bottom die showing above its holder, and from that point to the bottom of the upper die's holder is just over 1-1/2". One of the things I'm planning for it is fullering down pieces of car axle to make the stems of bottom tools.

With the angled supports (based on @Frosty's guillotine design), I should be able to reach about 3" into a workpiece. Not that I'm likely to need to, mind, but it's nice having the flexibility to move the workpiece around without running into side supports.

(On a side note, I'm pleased to announce that every single bit of metal on this thing -- other than the welding wire -- was either salvaged or a gift. The frugal skinflint in me is well pleased. Also happy that my welding is getting at least a little better.)

jlpserviceinc i really liked your post on what to charge i had really busy fall and i am about to have a busy spring and i have been asking myself the same ques am i pricin to high or low.I think im to low so im goin to increase the custom work to see how it works out if it don't i'll have a half price sale in the summer lol...

@BOUNTY FORGE be careful with copper and brass for jewelry, as many alloys contain lead to ease machining. 260 brass is lead free. The machine shop I worked at used literal tons of brass and copper. Our main copper alloy was a leaded nickel alloy, so that would be a double whammy as some people have nickel allergies.  Many mills today are shifting away from lead added alloys due to health, and environmental concerns. 

@jlpservicesinc don't know if you saw it yet, but a few years ago we had a thread titled Pricing your Work, and it had some interesting insights from around the world. 

Donating some stuff to a cancer benefit auction for a friend. I asked my lovely lady what I could make. She said roses because everyone loves them. I reluctantly agreed, because roses are a pita for me. So last night and tonight I've been working on roses. Tomorrow I'll get em all together and finished.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forged bottom swage for striking anvil, will mainly be used for forging top fullers and cross pein hammers. Also forged a 3lb hammer, only pictures I have are o it with an unfinished handle.. Also a very small copper snail. Have done alot just don't have pictures of everything.

Littleblacksmith

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 1/10/2018 at 10:31 PM, Daswulf said:

Donating some stuff to a cancer benefit auction for a friend. I asked my lovely lady what I could make. She said roses because everyone loves them.

Never seen copper look that color before .... interesting ......

5 hours ago, rthibeau said:

but do you have a dragon fly made ?

I always have some dragonflies. ;) 

your dragon wood burner on the other hand will take a bit of time. 

Realized my dumb bass used galvy for the petals so after the first round the other batch is soaking to remove the galvy. Surprise! Ugh. This one got soaked as well. Guess I'll finish them up tomorrow. Also made a quick horse shoe heart.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nothing metalworking but had just enough daylight left when I got to the casita to cut a scrap 2"x3" to make spacers for one of my bookcases and install them before heading to dinner & Bible Study.   (to keep paperbacks from sitting so deep on the shelf it's hard to see the titles.)