I Forge Iron

Stroke length for Pneumatic Hammer

Just a simple question (I think), I have a Parker 2" bore X 6" Stroke cylinder that I was thinking may be OK for a Air Hammer, is that stroke too short? 

Since I already had that cylinder, I thought I maybe could save a few buck if it was an OK length, but don't want to build something that I am going to regret down the road.

This would be used in more of a hobby shop than a full time shop.

Any advice is appreciated from this "Newbie"

Kevin

Kevin I am afraid the term "hobby shop" is rather meaningless when trying to describe what your pneumatic hammer needs to do. If your hobby is reproducing medieval sewing pens than a 1" stroke may work; but if your hobby is reproducing 19th century steam engines then a several foot stroke may be short!

What dimensions are most common in the stock you plan to work?  Will you be working dead soft real wrought iron at welding heat or high alloy steels that fight the hammer at proper forging temps?  If you have a hammer will you be temped in working heavier stock?

Heaviest stock I've worked was 2.5" with a 200# Chambersburg airhammer; even at welding temperature I was not "overhammered". (See my picture under my name---that was that project!)  I would say that 6" was not enough throw for heavy stock!  Are you expecting to use the throw distance to accelerate the die; rather than just the psi exerting force on the workpiece like a hydraulic press?

I was hoping to use the distance to accelerate the die, but it sounds like a 6" stroke cylinder is too short for what I was thinking and would be best for smaller material, so get a longer stroke if the heaver material is what I'm wanting to work with.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting