I Forge Iron

Hello in Illinois

Balbasarado

Just saying hello, as is recommended. I live in the southern half of the state, and don't even have a forge. I did make a hook once. At the time, I had a brake drum forge. Pretty basic hook, but it held a lot of chain for a long time. Anyways, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, blacksmiths of the world.  I thank you all for this collection of valuable information.  

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll ave a chance of hooking up with other members within visiting distance. Just saying it in one post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory after we open another post.  Is there someting we can address you by? Balbasarado is pretty cumbersome, it sounds good, rolls off my tongue like a Spanish aristocrat or title in an episode of Zorro when I was a kid.  Sidetracks don't bother you do they?

Do you like a good pun thread?

Frosty The Lucky.

Im trying to reply in order from memory, so bear with me. 

Thanks! A name you could call me is Justin. But that will be as difficult to remember as which state I live in. I have lived in many states though through the years. But that's a story for another time. What's that you say about being sidetracked? In order to be properly sidetracked, I would have had to have been confident in my course to begin with.  

I don't know what a pun thread is. But give me some few weeks, and I may suss it out. I can't really come down on one side or the other of the issue. 

The state I'm in is general malaise. But that may be cause I live in Illinois.  I added the location to my profile, which I hope fixes the problem of missing opportunities to meet neighborly people with actual experience.  

Finally, I live in Olney. How about you?

I grew up in Robinson, but I currently live in Decatur. I do try to make it down that way a couple times of year to see the family, so we might be able to meet up at some point in the future.

I would 100% advise reading the JABOD forge threads if you want to get started super cheap/easily.

Cool, Justin works for not cumbersome, it doesn't need to be unique. If we're responding to a post of your's we're probably not addressing one of the other Justins in the forum. 

I cut and paste my signature rather than write it over and over.  IFI used to have a signature setting but I don't know, I don't see it anymore. Probably attach a file. I just paste mine, so I don't have to write it unless I cut or copy something elsewhere, like easy. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I had heard something a few years ago before I ever got started that there was someone at I think it was an auto body shop that had some open forge times here and there. But could never pin down the exact location or when it was and then life happened and I quit looking for it.

Okay, I know some of his episodes. He's really good at making things work but some are NOT particularly effective nor practical. His ribbon burners are based on plans published in the ABANA magazines, authored by John Emerling.  

The problem inherent in that particular design is how far out of balance the flame velocity is as seen in the crazy long dragon's breath blowing out of the forge. commercially made multiple outlet burners, ribbon is just ONE shape, have beautifully close tight flame and almost zero dragon's breath. 

The difference in the two is what led me to tinker NARB  into a home project ribbon burner. I'm not going to go into the process, etc, it's in the NARB Lives thread along with my plans. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh I won't be doing anything like the one you're referring to Frosty. The one I'm doing is titled "Forge Build: No welding required".  In fact, it's somewhat more like the beginnings of your green multi-modal, reconfigurable forge.  It'll take me some time to collect enough fire brick to do anything like that though. I expect I'll only be doing small things really.  But i love modular design.  Here's what it looks like right now.61A1C4F9-25B5-4613-A5B9-BEAC56B222E9.jpeg.855d6da8b0adcade29a36f53d283add7.jpeg

I'll have to study how to orient the photo to put the ground at the bottom I guess. You get the idea though. Don't examine my cart too closely. It's poorly built, but free is a price I'm only too happy to pay.  I got stymied on how best to keep that hose safe from heat, and decided to sleep on the problem. 

Justin

729982F7-2308-4AB0-9B93-6495542565E4.jpeg

No you don't want my too large shop forge, I've only ever lit all 4 burners to test it and a couple times when there were 6 guys working out of it. 

You want to use Morgan Thermal Ceramics K-26 insulating fire brick. It'll take the heat and aggressive chemistry of a propane flame. I've been switching all my IFBs to K-26 IFBs.

The pic is one of the no weld forges we built en mass in a club forge $ burner clinic. I don't recall what they cost but I believe the club put a tidy sum in the treasury charging around $60. They're K-26 IFB with Plistex 90 kiln wash and a 1/2" T burner. I took the pic about 4 minutes after lighting and the piece of steel was shoved in as soon as it was lit. It's on it's second heat.

Being bolted together allows you to leave them a LITTLE loose so it can move with the FAST thermal cycling inherent in a propane forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

No weld forge 08 sized.jpg

The door baffles are 3,000 f. hard refractory split brick. The ones typically used for wood stoves, fire places, etc. have a lower rating and don't like living under a propane burner. 

The white ones are Morgan Ceramic K-26 IFB. 

Frosty The Lucky.