I Forge Iron

Grandparents

tjdaggett

Morning, smiths. 

We learned this weekend that my grandmother, who has been successfully battling stage IV ovarian cancer for just shy of three years, has contracted c. diff. On top of that, my grandfather has just been diagnosed with COVID-19, though it is mostly asymptomatic. They will have to quarantine for a total of about three weeks, during which my grandmother cannot have her chemo treatments. My mom informed me a few minutes ago that when grandma went in for hydration this morning they took her straight to the ER. She's in rough shape. 

We've gotten grandma for much longer than we expected. She has two more great-grands than she had when she was diagnosed, one of them mine. If it's her time, it's her time. I'd love prayer for healing, but also for peace for my mom and my grandpa if grandma passes. Those two will be hit the hardest. 

Thank you all. 

Grandpa is inches from being cleared. I got to see grandma on the family Zoom call yesterday. She looked weak, but not in the way of one who won't make it. She enjoyed seeing the family. 

My wife--may she be blessed quite thoroughly--mailed them a puzzle to help my grandfather stave off madness. I've been sending letters. 

• 2 weeks later...

TJD, sorry to hear of your grandmothers issues. Glad she was cleared and is home now. It's a shame the prices on some of this medication and antibiotics. Enjoy the time you have with her. Time is a precious thing. It's always sad to think of all the conversations I wish I had had with my now passed grandparents. I'm always grateful for the time I did have with them. 

Her and your family are in my prayers. 

• 1 month later...

Got word this weekend that grandma took a pretty sharp downhill turn. Long story short, there's something wrong with her that only surgery or a miracle could correct, and surgery isn't an option given how weak she is. We're still praying, but I'm getting the impression that we're heading for homecoming rather than healing. Grandpa is meeting with doctors to talk through palliative care options today. 

Main requests:

- That she'd be able to get home so she could have visitors. Right now even grandpa can't be in the hospital room with her due to COVID restrictions. 
- That those who need to would be able to see her before she goes, and then that she'd go quickly.
- That grandpa would be provided for in all the ways he needs. They've been married a little over sixty years. Grandpa is 85 and sharp. 

Thanks y'all. 

Thank you for the update; your grandmother will certainly be in my prayers. Prayers as well for strength and comfort for everyone.

By a strange coincidence, today is the one year anniversary of my father's funeral. One thing I have learned since then is that even death can bring about healing.