I Forge Iron

Absolute beginner starting out need advice on my vise

Chriscarte82

Hello all, I'm in the process of acquiring the basics to start out. I've recently acquired a post vice but think it may have a been more of a display piece. My question is would this set up be ok to mount to my floor and use as is or should I look to secure it to a bench or post.

20200825_205649.thumb.jpg.e776504967a78f31635a28272c3c8def.jpg

20200825_205723.jpg

Not knowing how you plan to use it makes that a hard question to answer. However for blacksmithing where you may be hammering or using the vise for bending; a more secure method of mounting it is suggested.  If you look through the section on vises you will see a number of differing ways to do it; both portable, and fixed.  That is already a replacement mounting bracket on it---does it have a rectangular hole in the stationary leg for a tenoned mounting bracket?  (The vise looks like an old one to me with that screwbox and the thin jaws)

Welcome aboard, you might want to add your location to your profile as so many answers depend on knowing where in the world you are located. How are the screw & screw box threads on the vise? They are the most important parts. If you can anchor the stump to the floor, I don't see why it wouldn't work but personally I would make a better mounting and anchor for the leg acorn to make it more vertical.

This thread may help with your question.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/63223-show-me-your-vise-stands/

Nice vice. And yes, the stump needs to be mounted securely to the ground.

More importantly, nice banjo!

Here's mine. It's the first thing I ever made. Birdseye maple/rosewood neck, a little carving and inlayed Cripple Creek turquoise here and there. My name at the top is Tigerwood.

2020-08-27_07-25-38.jpg

banjo1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...