I Forge Iron

My second forge build

pre6422hornet

So two years ago I took the plunge and built a brick pile forge with a simple propane torch for a burner.  I started making cleavers and hunting knives out of reclaimed sawmill blades of 8670 steel.  While the brick pile worked for what I needed it for it was not big enough.  Controlling hot spots was tough, especially with cleavers.  I then started gathering more tools, an anvil, etc.. and wanted to dive into more traditional blacksmithing and forging knives. 

Read a ton off here and joined a month or two ago.  Decided to go with a 12x5x5 internal dimension forge, so I can fit cleavers in when needed.  I welded together 11 gauge steel together, welded on some brick door holders out of angle iron, and after messaging Frosty I had completely forgot about a sliding tool shelf.   I scrounged up some 1/2 square tube and 1/2 rod and welded one on.  Two 1/2" T Burners, two layers of 1" kaowool, two layers of Satanite, and a layer of Matrikote and she was ready to go.  The little heat shield was just something to help divert the chimney effect on shutdown from my gas line, which is rubber for the moment. 

IMG_3156.jpg.6f100c412e942a292d8e2659495dbe18.jpg

Tuning in the burners was easy.  One was burning very well and a nice blue cone and the other was burning pretty green.  I let it burn for a bit just to be sure and when it was still green I cut off 1/16 and tried again.  Still green so I cut it down 1/16 again.  This time it was perfect.  Here she is running at 7 PSI. 

I heat treated some 1084 knives this morning   ( .120 and .180).  At 3-4 PSI the .120 was reaching non magnetic in 90 seconds and the .180 would reach it around the 4 minute mark.  I noticed that the knives came out with zero to little warpage even after quenching, which is music to my ears as I struggled with the BPF and hot spots.   Here is one of the .120's

IMG_3155.jpg.5a33f6e96ae0fe3f1701dba8a8e1b234.jpg

I can't thank all of you enough for the info and just wanted to share it with you all.  I am very very pleased with the forge and can't wait to hammer some hot steel with it.  I have rebar that will be practiced on. 

Edited by pre6422hornet
pics