I Forge Iron

Matrikote IR coating

Egan

I ordered some Matrikote 90A to line my forge with. I am gonna do 2” of ceramic wool and an inch of kast of lite 30. My question is if there would be any benefit in putting the matrikote on both layers of the kaowool as well instead of just the outside of the refractory. 

Thanks,

Egan

4D206054-D92A-4AA4-99C7-0480385A965C.jpeg

I don't know the specific answer to your questions, but I can tell you I just finished an interior dimension forge of 12x5x5 with two one inch layers of wool, 2 layers of Satanite, and one layer of Matrikote and just this morning heat treated some 1084 (.120 and .180) knives.  At 3 PSI I was getting to non magnetic state in 90 seconds on the .120 and three minutes on the .180.   Plenty hot and efficient for what I am using it for currently and I am pretty sure when I am ready to try and forge weld, it won't be a problem. 

I have (2) 1/2 inch T burners. 

No point in coating both layers of ceramic blanket. Matrikote is a flame face refractory putting it behind the material it's supposed to protect is like taking cover in front of the bullet proof shield.  

I don't know about the recommendation against using it on hard refractory, guys have been doing that for a long long time successfully. The mixing instructions look right. Lots of thin coats work better than one thick coat. Buttering the material you're applying it to makes a bid difference in how well it bonds. Buttering means wet the surface down first, just plain water a spray bottle or a wipe down with a wet rag works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.