I Forge Iron

Propane efficiency

I recently built my propane forge and found I'm going through propane really fast. I used a old propane tank as the body, I have 2 inches of k wool and 2 burners (I will provide pictures if needed). I was wondering if to save propane I should either add more insulation, invest in making a ribbon burner, or look into forced air. 

I will post a picture of it once I get out there (my parent don't want me forging without them home).

So:  Lack of insulation; too large a chamber, burners engineered to not provide enough hang time for the hot gasses in the forge, Forge not designed for adequate hang time.

Fix those.

Also how fast is your gas getting used up?   (Pounds per hour is a good measure.)

Are you working multiple pieces at the same time?  Gas used per item forged almost doubles if nothing is heating while you are working on a piece at the anvil.

Using a forge master double, I go through a 100 lb tank every 4 months, if I don’t forge weld. Propane is cheap. Averaging 4 to 6 hours about 5 days a week.

woah..... all your heat is going out the back and front holes...... put some doors on there.....  on my forgemaster my little port holes are about 3 and a half inches wide and it has a chimney...   

I keep it at about 10 lbs of pressure, and usually at the lowest setting at the forge so I don’t roast myself to death... 

247E31EB-E31F-4CD0-B55E-8B41D2965F76.jpeg

07D9AD57-CC32-457B-B392-148339811C98.jpeg

F4F91AAB-97AC-4687-A9D7-36CBE6B1F8B0.jpeg

Just make sure that the firewool can take all the concentrated heat, and turn it WAY down. Just a nice bright orange in day light is all you need to forge. It might help to add some oxygen to the fire to help conserve propane once you get the baby warmed up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've already lined your forge with the refractory cement then you'll probably want to use it as is for now.  I used some that was supposed to withstand 3000 degrees F in my first propane forge.  Once it got into the high yellow range it turned into a sticky semi-solid.  After it cooled it was a glass-like glaze.   Others have reported some of the cements or mortars holding up for a while without any major problems.

Most of us use Kastolite 30 or something similar to coat the ceramic blanket.  It's probably not what you consider low cost, but it is usually less expensive to do something right once than to do it "cheaper" multiple times.

There is at least one person on here who uses a thin "paint on" type of lining that he says works well for him.  It is more susceptible to getting holes poked in it from the stock, but according to him it heats up quickly and does provide a light armor coating for the blanket.  Unfortunately I do not remember who that is at the moment.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, Buzzkill said:

f you've already lined your forge with the refractory cement then you'll probably want to use it as is for now.  I used some that was supposed to withstand 3000 degrees F in my first propane forge.  Once it got into the high yellow range it turned into a sticky semi-solid.  After it cooled it was a glass-like glaze.   Others have reported some of the cements or mortars holding up for a while without any major problems.

That was fascinating; I totally wouldn't have expect it to turn glassy.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:57 PM, Buzzkill said:

There is at least one person on here who uses a thin "paint on" type of lining that he says works well for him.  It is more susceptible to getting holes poked in it from the stock, but according to him it heats up quickly and does provide a light armor coating for the blanket.  Unfortunately I do not remember who that is at the moment.

The originator of the lightweight Zircopax/Silica slurry coating is Dan Rotblatt, who has been using this coating successfully for decades. I followed his advice and have built an efficient hobbyist forge that heats up fast and uses minimal gas.  The coating won't survive heavy bashing, but it is easy to patch/recoat if you do dink it.  I'll certainly be using this coating technique on future forges.

Hope this helps.

Tink!