I Forge Iron

Burner Flame

GraphicH

Recently got a double venturi built, following the design in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFDRBZZPWQ

So I have it built and I'm testing it but even at around 10 PSI I've got no visible flame coming out the end.  Its putting out a TON of heat, but even adjusting the flanges, no flame.  In all the videos I've watched most people have blue or yellow jets, but even though the burners are roaring and putting out heat, just no flame at all.  Is that norma?

58 minutes ago, GraphicH said:

following the design in this video

I just watched it and it's a good example of someone with more tools than knowledge and experience using them. My advice to everybody out there is any video with loud music and time lapse footage of tasks too mundane to show at all should NOT BE FOLLOWED. Seriously, is it REALLY informative to watch someone use a can of spray paint at  high speed? Anybody who can't sand something or oh say use a scale and measure things really should NOT be building a propane burning appliance. 

He didn't even know how to adjust his choke plates let alone build decent burners. I'm  not going to list the mistakes but they're at virtually every step.

How about showing us what you have Graphic and we'll see what we can do about correcting whatever is going wrong. No, please no videos, still pics are much easier to evaluate though we may have to ask for a different angle to see what we need to. 

Right off the top, if you can't see any flame but it's making heat it's probably burning in the mixing tube which is a B-A-D thing! There are a number of possible causes but without pics all we can say is it's not right, do NOT use it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Yeah that's why I did the bench test and only ran it for a minute or so, it did not behave properly and this is gas so I'm not going to use it if it doesn't work like I expected.   I don't think I'm going to use this build at all, it was more trying something out.  For a lot of reasons I'd rather build singular burners that are more modular, I think I should try to just get a single burner right before I try multiples.  Also, out of curiosity when you say its B-A-D, what are we talking about here in terms of failure (I am guessing explosions). 

Here are some pictures:

16qXapmRhkZoGVFyYvAoqkkYyH5_8C-HA 174vZmnW2kPgDW74ceJOkHim8MfGM0iDg 16x-ON6kPBX3zhS-FDXi7EWfSvARd3A9_ 16vHjZgDlwnZOuzv1iHxNzYEl9Rk61htc 16kn1mWJNXjxxr8yIa4a9CAuqsHmlFjxi

Frosty,

I just found your burner designs, they're both simpler (less to get wrong) but more detailed.  I'm still curious about tips you can give me (especially safety tips).

That only gives us the address of files in YOUR computer. 

There is a choose file button below the text window as you type. Select it and go to the file in your computer and double click, it'll load as a thumbnail below your text window. I do a save as of all the pics I want to post to reduce the file size while leaving my original pics high res for other uses. I like to get them at or under 100k. I still have to resize them in the text window so they don't cover the whole page.

To Add the pic to the text window by selecting the + button on the thumbnail, it will be placed where the cursor is. It can take a little practice but it's not too hard. To resize pics so they don't take up a whole page apiece, double click the pic, a menu will open, click the box to keep the aspect so you don't end up with tall skinny or short FAT pics. There are windows with pixels per inch wide and high, say 480  and 465. Select one and make a change. I drop the size about 200 per change until it's close them maybe tweak them in the 10s column. 

If you shrink it too much it's easy to undo, single click "select" the pic in the text window and delete it with the button on your keyboard then click the + button and try again. 

If you're doing this on your "smart(?)"phone all bets are off, I don't have a clue. I have to email my iphone pics to my laptop, save and resize them. 

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much. But HONEST, we can't see pic files on YOUR computer, we'be been trying for years.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

There is a choose file button below the text window as you type.

This is actually what I did, the files were uploaded and can be downloaded, for example if you hover over the first attachment you should see:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=163258

They seem to embed fine though if I copy and paste the links from above here, so Ill just do that:

16qXapmRhkZoGVFyYvAoqkkYyH5_8C-HA

174vZmnW2kPgDW74ceJOkHim8MfGM0iDg

16x-ON6kPBX3zhS-FDXi7EWfSvARd3A9_

16vHjZgDlwnZOuzv1iHxNzYEl9Rk61htc

3 minutes ago, GraphicH said:

This is actually what I did, the files were uploaded and can be downloaded, for example if you hover over the first attachment you should see:

I've been fooled by that too. On your machine it loads pics off your machine so it looks like the files uploaded to IFI. On my machine it takes me to the picture folder on MY machine as that's as far as the file path matches. 

Copy and paste works just fine. 

When I said B-A-D as a failure mode I didn't mean explosion or I would've said that in large, bolded RED font. By failure mode I mean it's just not working within a tunable range. Not that it can't be corrected but it's too far out to be tuned, as it is.

What size mig tips are you using?

Have you considered a different burner design? I'm not saying to scrap those but it's a possibility you shouldn't ignore. If you prep for it now it won't sting as much if those can't be salvaged. 

Be forewarned I'm not a linear burner guy, though I know enough to maybe muddle through with you. Hopefully someone who uses these will speak up and rescue us both. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

When I said B-A-D as a failure mode I didn't mean explosion or I would've said that in large, bolded RED font. By failure mode I mean it's just not working within a tunable range. Not that it can't be corrected but it's too far out to be tuned, as it is.

That's a relief! 

What size mig tips are you using?

0.025 I've read a few places that smaller is potentially better but no one actually gave a reason, I do have a few other parts laying around.

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Have you considered a different burner design? I'm not saying to scrap those but it's a possibility you shouldn't ignore. If you prep for it now it won't sting as much if those can't be salvaged. 

Oh for sure, I expect to fail at this I'm comfortable with my first (second, third?) attempt not quite working as I expected.  I just want to make sure that as I'm failing, I'm not blowing up my garage, because if the blast didn't kill me, my wife surely would.

I think actually I'm just going to go with your design (I found it tooling around).  I may still play around with this one though if you think it can be saved, but I was already considering something different, I'm not exactly a fan of how the choke plate works. 

So, all those people who are "smarter than the average bear" will be noticing how hot this forge is running and saying "yum, yum. gimme some." So, if the guy is so wrong how come so hot, huh? Well, we often overlook what's right under our nose...

And that would be what mister smarty pants  huh?  What you got to say, then' what, what!?!

Just this; he using two burners to get the output of one properly built burner; that's what!