I Forge Iron

Braze Resist

Aaron Moss

Hi,

I do a lot of silver brazing/white flux, space is tight a lot of times with the clamps, and the silver braze flows and brazes the clamps to the work occasionally.  I'm looking for something spray/dip/paint/rub on the clamps to act as a resist.  I have use carbon from the acetylene torch, but that doesn't last that long, and I have to re adjust my torch every time I blacken my clamps.  I was wondering if there was something out there, or some process that would make the clamps more resistant.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks 

Yellow ochre, pencil lead, powdered graphite... these are common jewelers solutions.  You can use yellow ochre acrylic artist’s paint.  Maybe use a coating or dip and then also put a barrier line of soft pencil lead to help keep the solder from flowing into the clamps?  I’ve had pretty good luck applying a slurry of powdered yellow ochre, it’s kind of an anti flux.

17 hours ago, Aaron Moss said:

Might pick up a container of yellow ochre powder, having anti-flux on the bench might be a good think to have too.

I have not used yellow ochre with brazing, but I have used it soldering (with torch) and welding (in a  kiln) with it.  I am not a fan of it, It was 100% useless welding. You mix it with a little water and let it dry. Once heated it usually starts falling (or even jumping) off so it doesn't give  complete coverage. It was a much bigger problem for me welding that it was soldering.