I Forge Iron

Replaced hammer handle

Dewnmoutain

Was in the shop today, hammering with my forge hammer, and suddenly the head twistsd ever so slightly. I felt it twist on the strike and stopped. Sure enough, the wood inside the hammer head had come lose. i thought about it, thinking maybe a new wedge could work, but i knew deep down it wasnt. 

So i went scrounging through my hammer handle stash, trying to find an oblong shaped handle that best matched my old handle. Couldnt find anything, but i did have an old axe handle that roughly fit what i was looking for. 

I shaped the handle, where the hammer sets upon the wood, got the shoulders square, and made sure it fit. Then sanded down the years worth of grit and grime, to get to fresh wood below. Sanded the shaft down to 120grit for a smooth finish that i felt was right. I hate using handles that have a finish upon them, always feels like the hammer will fly out of my hand.

Got it centered on axis, fitted and wedged. Used it a couple times, and now, i dont know. It feels right, but the thickness isnt what im used to. It feels a bit thin in my hand. It indexes well, and hammers much better than on the previous handle, but feels a bit...lite, i guess you could say. 

I'll try it for a few days, see how it works, how i adjust to it. 

Was curious to know if you guys had ever had this happen? Where you replaced a hammer handle and after it was put together, it just didnt feel right?

20200811_165932.jpg

Usually happens to me every time, especially with my most used hammers. Most of the time mine are a little too thick so some sanding & trying makes them better. Is the new handle the same length? That also makes a difference in the balance. I like the blankie on the anvil.:)

My go to hammer came with a handle that was pretty thin, I wrapped it up in hockey tape 2-3 layers thick and added a butt at the end for extra purchase on full swings. 

This solution probably isn't for everyone though, I just like the extra grip and feel in my hand. 

49 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Usually happens to me every time, especially with my most used hammers. Most of the time mine are a little too thick so some sanding & trying makes them better. Is the new handle the same length? That also makes a difference in the balance. I like the blankie on the anvil.:)

I think is an inch shorter. 

The blankie is soaked in oil to keep the anvil free of surface rust. Got sick and tired of hammering on the rusty face plate, so i sanded it down and just started covering it. 

3 hours ago, Dewnmoutain said:

Where you replaced a hammer handle and after it was put together, it just didnt feel right?

It just feels new and it's not a factory handle. Once you get used to it and tweaked to your liking you'll be replacing your other hammer handles. 

Frosty The Lucky.