I Forge Iron

belt grinder buy or not

What are you going to use it for? That really makes a big difference. I use a Grizzly grinder and a Hard Core grinder. Both of them use 2"x72" belts. I make primarily knives and this pair suits me fine. On advangtage of that size belt is that there are many many options Whe you purchase belts You can get really cheap belts in a lot of grits sizes or you can get belts that last longer but cost a bit more. Some sizes of belts are hard to find different grit sizes for unless you have them made up. I use From 40 grit to 2000 grit and can find any of them at several suppliers.

I love my Bader B3, but forget the one posted by "Mark" in the tailgate... I tried to buy it,, sent Emails, Phone calls, etc, etc... but the person that posted it wont return calls, emails, or anything, I think its just a GIT, not intending to sell aything only collect our info, Buyer beware. He has posted those add's on other places, and I heard its the same problem there.

the cotee can NOT change contact wheels, they are one wheel only. so get the diameter you want.

I bet it would be great to have a row of grinders set up with various grits and diameters all ready to go.... :D

Edited by steve sells

Tetnum I am still not sure what you are wanting to grind. but I am familiar with the coote. It would be a great addition to a shop if you add a variable speed motor or step pulleys so you can change speeds. Some belts like different speeds for different materials. If you want to hollow grind blades then you will not be happy with the 6" contact wheel I use an eight inch and a lot of folks use ten or twelve inch contact wheel for hollow grinding.

tetnum... thanks for the link.

I just hadn't noticed advertising for belt grinders that included the contact pulley diameter that way in the description. I use my belt grinders a lot, but haven't focused on making knives yet... soon though, I expect. I hope to be making damascus billets later this fall.

I learn something everytime I log onto these forums...

I suspected you might want it for that. A six inch wheel would do a nice job of hollow grinding really narrow blades with a narrow hollow grind. I would also work well on daggers that are fairly wide but have a double hollow grind. two hollow grinds on each side, meeting in the middle of the blade. Some folks that do that use smaller wheels. There is a relationship to the size needed to grind a blade and the thickness of the stock used and its width. If fact some of the knife making suppliers sselol a chart to help you with that. I use from one inch wide to inch and a quarter wide stock that is 5/32" thick. The eight inch wheel works great for me. You can work this out your self. on a piece of paper dray a tall rectangle exactly the size of the material you want to grind. Let us say it is 3/16" wide and 1 1/2" tall. Overlay onto that a circle of 6: diameter. put the bottom edge of the circle about 1/32" off center to the same side as the circle. If you ground it that way you would have a little thickness at the edge before heat treat. 1/16". now the top edge of the circle put up to the height you would like to see your grind lines on the blade. If you follow me you will see that if the grind lines are near the top of the side of the blade the center of the grind will eight meet or pass the center line of the blade stock. If you grind both sides you will have a window in the hollow grind you can see through. Now do the slame thing with an eight inch and a ten inch wheel. The do it all over with a rectangle that is smaller. Like one inch x one eigth inch. Most blade grinders that I know have figured this out long ago. And most have settled on a wheel that works on the size of blades they prefer to make. I have been in a lot of shops and usually they are set up with one size wheel. Two or more grinders would allow an easy change of stock size. For this exercise it may help to double the sizes used for the drawings. If I have confused you or anyone with this post let me know and I will do the drawings and post them.

Calling the grizzly similar to the coote is like calling a yugo simliar to a porche, they're both cars made overseas, just like the coote and grizzly are both belt grinders with a contact drive wheel.

I've got a 10 inch wheel coote belt grinder, with the disk attachment, (on the 10" wheel you can leave the disk attached and still do hollow grinds) and I love it. Sure, it's not a KMG, but it's also half the cost, and still built well enough to last a life time.

The coote grinder is, in my opinion, the hands down best belt grinder you can get at that price point.

7642.attach