I Forge Iron

looking to identify grandfather's boilermaker tools

Can any members here help me to identify some tools?

My grandfather was a boilermaker for the B&O railroad from 1927-1957, and I'd like to know more about them and what they were used for.

I can send pictures to assist.  Thank you.     J Malle

Hello all,

I finally posted some pictures here.

Let's call the top row pictures, left to right,  1 through 4

second row, left to right, 5 through 8

and the last one number 9.

Again, my grandfather was a boilermaker for the B&O railroad.

I know some are chisels, and specialized pliers, but number nine is of special interest!

thank you for any help here

3002B2A7-ACDF-4355-A2D6-F9649444FBB1.jpeg

FF9D6545-0EF0-4618-8BB6-D28250413EF2.jpeg

E1C4F025-198F-4C5C-B6F2-5E3A136AB034.jpeg

5D3483B5-C737-49A6-93B7-1E85AC6E60F5.jpeg

881C3F6D-6EF8-4769-B818-7FA7740DD297.jpeg

7A15EF81-B8A8-4CAB-AE90-0F5AEB1D6C7E.jpeg

FAD093D7-A3C3-4709-BFD3-2714FD3D44FB.jpeg

AA1CF806-28B9-4EBB-95F6-769AAC9CC23B.jpeg

43495962-DA4E-4FC2-A350-10ED1C9E6573.jpeg

My take, in reverse:  Last photo appears to be of a pair of soldering irons, one missing a  handle.  One before it is a set of long nose, flat tip pliers with some minor customization to the handle.  Might have been for something special, but probably specific to the user.  Pretty sure the one above that is used for either cinching or pulling out using the leverage of the pliers handle against the "hammer head".  No idea about the two chisels that appear to be modified into bottle openers.  The Tee handle is probably for a chuck of some sort (maybe a lathe chuck?).  Set of (4) stone/concrete tools above that (three star drills and a chisel).  Above that we have a wood chisel, center punch, cape chisel, and impact gun chisel (possibly).  Last (first) is a end cutting pliers with a nail puller on one handle and some kind of scribe or manual hole reamer on the other.

Folks,

The second to last tool resembles those used by fellows tying reinforcing wire for laying concrete forms.

The third to last tool resembles a tightening tool for stretching leather, on a last.

That's my cents. (nah, make it three cents).

SLAG.

Thank you both for the insight into these tools!    Very helpful.   J. Malle

The two chisels that look like they were modified into bottle openers is an interesting take on them.

I'd have to try them, but I would welcome other thoughts or opinions on them as well.   I never saw them 

used for that, so I'm wondering if there was a specific use for them as a tool.

Would anyone else here on the site have other resources or websites I could check ?   Thanks

Mr. Jmalle,

Hath written,  and the SLAG  quotes,

"Would anyone else here on the site have other resources or websites I could check ?"

The quote is a trifle vague.  Could you be more specific?   

SLAG.

"bottle openers" are sheet metal cutters used in an air driven tool as it the other shouldered chisel up higher. 

The Chisels with the + cross section near the working end are star drills used for drilling holes in concrete of stone using a hand hammer---still available at most hardware stores; but gradually fading away in favour of hammer drills.

First picture: nippers used for cutting steel or copper wire

Second picture left to right: wood socket chisel, center punch or drift or alignment tool---I use them interchangeably, cape chisel used to chisel on cast iron or steel,  chisel for an air tool

3rd Star drills

4th T handle used to turn a valve with that shape

5th & 6th used to cut sheet metal 5th with an air tool and 6th by hand with a hammer

7th upholstery tool

8th pliers

9th soldering "coppers"