Jump to content

Coal Forge Computer Fan


NolanF

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I posted few weeks ago to show you my first forge making, and I had a lot of interesting advices from peoples on this forum.

I made modification to it to increase it's possibilities. People told me that using a leaf blower was too much air provided to fire and could burn up blades. 
Talking with these persons made me think about a old computer I didn't used for years that had a huge fan in the power supply part. So I transforme the utility of this fan to forge air supplying. 

I also planned it to be removable to be able to completely clean out the ashes stucked in my forge air duct. Anyway as always I made a video of it to share the evolution of my project. 

If you want to see it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KL_vs-aw4

Have a good day !

Nolan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2020 at 12:02 AM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

May I suggest putting some still pictures up, as a lot of members don't have high speed internet or have to pay for data usage and videos are a chore to try and watch.

The only thing I can think of is how are you controlling the amount of air in the fire?

I dropped down some pictures of the final look for you.
And currently I cannot control the amount of air going into the fire, it's constant.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:03 AM, Marc1 said:

Great job Nolan. Particularly love the air funnel :)

Make some more photos or videos about heating up steel 

Thanks Marc ! I will soon make video about my first axes and knives forging. I'll upload them to my channel, and I'll also make a post on the forum to show you.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:16 AM, Frosty said:

Good job Nolan. You have a proper blacksmith's approach to problem solving.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty Thank you very much =)

On 7/27/2020 at 3:58 AM, wirerabbit said:

Nice, Nolan. Hope to see some picture of what your doing with your tricked out forge.

 

Taylor, near Jeddo TX

Thank you Taylor ! You'll see it soon I promise !

On 7/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, DennisCA said:

You could probably control the fan speed with a PWM. Or just a sliding gate.

I thought about it but I really do not know where to get a variable resistor for the 12V fan. Do you got an idea ?

IMG_20200726_193842740.jpg

IMG_20200726_193846610.jpg

IMG_20200726_193833784.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered one off ebay for a little over 8 bucks. I searched for DC motor speed controllers. Works for 8 to 60v or something like that. I bought one with an on/off button and a display that will show me 0 - 100% modulation. It will be worth it to discover the minimum of air needed for a particular heat. I'm sure I'm burning up charcoal faster than I need to airing by hand.

Oodles of information on the interwebs regarding making your own PWM board as well. Ain't nobody got time for that.

 

Taylor, near Jeddo TX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is important to be able to control the air going to the fire. I like your blower setup and it would be easy to add an "air gate" between the blower and tuyere to control the air instead of the speed of the fan. If you Google coal forge air gate there are many pictures of them. In a forge I used, the air gate was made from an automotive exhaust heat riser valve with a rod attached to the lever push the rod to close and pull to open, more pictures on Google.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My air gate is a lid from a veggie can. I cut a slot in front of my fan in my tuyere little more than 3/4 of the way through. Inserted lid into slot. All the way closed i have about a 1/8" gap for air to pass. By lifting the lid out of the slot i can go from 1/8" to 2" opening. Since my original blower failed i have had to switch to   hair dryer till i can get out again for a new blower i also drilled 6 holes between my blower and gate.  Even with just a 1/8" opening the hair dryer was to much. I used exhaust pipe for my tuyere, the part that is flared to be the "female" end of the pipe i cut off and it makes a nice sleeve that goes over the holes to adjust air flow with. 

Keep it simple.

20200728_142104.thumb.jpg.95d8d6567a6a5854055b027dd2498937.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, wirerabbit said:

I ordered one off ebay for a little over 8 bucks. I searched for DC motor speed controllers. Works for 8 to 60v or something like that. I bought one with an on/off button and a display that will show me 0 - 100% modulation. It will be worth it to discover the minimum of air needed for a particular heat. I'm sure I'm burning up charcoal faster than I need to airing by hand.

Oodles of information on the interwebs regarding making your own PWM board as well. Ain't nobody got time for that.

 

Taylor, near Jeddo TX

Yes it seems a good idea I'll take a look. I am sure I burn too much charcoal too, finding the perfect amount of air seems not easy. I thinks it needs time to understand exactly how much air you need for you workpiece to be heated efficiency.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

It is important to be able to control the air going to the fire. I like your blower setup and it would be easy to add an "air gate" between the blower and tuyere to control the air instead of the speed of the fan. If you Google coal forge air gate there are many pictures of them. In a forge I used, the air gate was made from an automotive exhaust heat riser valve with a rod attached to the lever push the rod to close and pull to open, more pictures on Google.

 

On 7/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, BillyBones said:

My air gate is a lid from a veggie can. I cut a slot in front of my fan in my tuyere little more than 3/4 of the way through. Inserted lid into slot. All the way closed i have about a 1/8" gap for air to pass. By lifting the lid out of the slot i can go from 1/8" to 2" opening. Since my original blower failed i have had to switch to   hair dryer till i can get out again for a new blower i also drilled 6 holes between my blower and gate.  Even with just a 1/8" opening the hair dryer was to much. I used exhaust pipe for my tuyere, the part that is flared to be the "female" end of the pipe i cut off and it makes a nice sleeve that goes over the holes to adjust air flow with. 

Keep it simple.

 

Yes it seems to be a good idea maybe with a lot of tiny holes to be more precise on the amount of air you want to remove. I'll keep that idea in mind maybe I'll do it on my forge =)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another reason why I like a hand crank blower for charcoal!   You can vary the cranking speed as needed for changing conditions! As air needs depends on the size of the fuel that changes constantly as you use it;  finding the one perfect air setting is a lost cause!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The great thing about using a dc motor is that you should be able to use different voltage batteries. More volts, faster fan. Less volts, slower fan. See the possibilities? When I checked the hair dryer motor, I used a 9 volt battery. When I tested the speed controller with the 18 volt battery, it was smoking at 100% peak voltage.

Those computer fans should be able to run off lower voltage batteries. I'm not sure how long they will last. 

The PWM can make a motor produce more annoying sounds. If you hate that sort of thing, try lower voltage battery and air gate methods for control.

I still didn't pick up charcoal for my forge, so I'm sidelined for a bit. Hope to hook things up soon.

Taylor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nolan,

Here is a picture of my fan controller hooked up to a 12v battery pack from the wife's power driver. You can see more pictures on my JABOD thread. Sorry I don't know how to put a link to that thread. 

The controller I purchased (black bezel display with controls) has both a pot for speed and a green, on/off switch. I put everything into a weather proof plug cover.

 

Taylor, near Jeddo TX20200811_144058.thumb.jpg.30ab13c9c38dbd4a635c27975d01d206.jpg 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohh you assemble a nice little device ! What does the LCD show ? 

I followed your exemple I ordered a small voltage controller part on eBay for 4 dollar. We'll see if it's going to be nice ! 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...