I Forge Iron

Art Is Art

George, I've never been there or smelled that, but I've close ones who have.  Recently.  Our family is military.  Smell that bad does not go away even after its molecules have faded out, I suspect. 

Still, the skunk was bad.  I had to crawl under and pull it out.  And it came apart in the process.

1 hour ago, Anachronist58 said:

Nodebt, I like your use of Bobwire. 

(Sigh...) Thank you!

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

skeleton covered in liquefied meat

This just keeps getting better!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working for road maintenance meant we got called to take care of road kill. Occasionally a carcass would be tossed into the brush and not be noticed till it started announcing itself loudly enough to make motorists whizzing past at 65. A couple of us would get dispatched to pick it up, you know you're in for it when they send 3 guys with, an: arrowboard to direct traffic, a dump truck and a loader. The first time I got sent out to pick up a quivering moose was when I started keeping a change of clothes in a large plastic bag in my locker. Happily the office had a shower. 

Funny thing about moose sized maggot colonies. We weren't allowed to haul it to the land fill when we had a dumpster on site. No reasoning with a bean counter with the bit in his teeth. Soooo, into the dumpster it went, it actually made a sloshing sound when it landed. I started going through the other gate in the approx. 60 acre yard, Unfortunately there was no escape in the yard at all. Better still, the refuse company refused to make a special pickup once the driver got a whiff. Says no carcasses right in the contract and by then the outside of the dumpster looked like the great maggot escape. 

We were allowed to take road kill directly to the land fill from then on. 

Another truly horrific stench was emitted by my own self when I was taking one of the first oral diabetes meds. It was almost painfully foul and made me extra gassy too. Our dogs would get up and leave the room if standing by the front door wouldn't let them go outside.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Nodebt, that is me, when I am at my best......

Back to your sculpture though:  Roller bearing eyes, horse shoe proboscis, bob wire brow and mustache, but what were the ferocious teeth up-cycled from?

After viewing your work numerous times, I find it to be whimsically intimidating, or, scary, and I hope to capture that impression, myself.

Robert Taylor

Robert, those teeth are actually the retaining/locking rings for the nut that holds those very roller bearings in place.  I just flatten them with a hammer, cut out the section I need.  If I want smiley teeth (8-)), I heat it gently (they are thin) with a torch to "back bend" them.  Wish I had pictures but you get the idea.  I've toyed with the idea of using the same concept on gears and cogs.  Heres another, but harder to see them.  Scott.

0113191639d_compress97.jpg

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Soooo, into the dumpster it went, it actually made a sloshing sound carcasses  great maggot escape

Frosty The Lucky. 

Ok.  Ill quit kicking this dead (infested) horse thread back to life but not before one last quote from the master.  8-)

1 hour ago, Anachronist58 said:

whimsically intimidating, or, scary, and I hope to capture that impression, myself.

Uh. . . For yourself Robert? What do you have in mind: the grim reaper in polka dots and tassels, maybe a knight with a spiked pom pom mace, Viking in a bonnet and pink tu tu?  

Actually I like the term it is very apt for much of Nodebt's pieces.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Uh. . . For yourself Robert?

I have been labelled certain iterations of "odd" before..... but I am speaking of sculpture! And you have given me some good ideas!

No pink, no tempera colors - I seem to have a touch paintophobia........

Hmmmmmm, tasels... 

Do ladybugs have fierce mandibles?

11 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

I have been labelled certain iterations of "odd" before.....

High praise in my book.

11 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Do ladybugs have fierce mandibles?

I posted a project of a ladybug on here a while ago that had vicious mandibles.  No flame thrower, alas.  We named it Gamera if I remember right.

5 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Ladybugs are fierce predators... just ask an aphid! 

Asian lady beetles will chew on you. They actually bite.  I cleaned out a dead tomato patch one year that was infested with them.

Ahh... As Ozzy says... "The wreckage of my past keeps haunting me..."  I seriously wasnt trying to dredge that up from the depths.  Loose lips sink ships :).  

I might as well show the final product.

13 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

No pink, no tempera colors - I seem to have a touch paintophobia...

It kind of turned out along the lines of what Frosty had in mind.  What say you Frosty?  

20150823_185555~2_compress81.jpg

Disclaimer:  I have no control over anything after it leaves my shop.

Robert, it was a made as a gift by myself and an accomplice to a young girl who likes monsters.  Quite honestly I cringed when I saw how they festooned it.  Actually, it hurts my eyes and I should not have posted it ;-).  Im a Hack too.

23 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

It kind of turned out along the lines of what Frosty had in mind.  What say you Frosty?  

I barely remember what I said/suggested(?) yesterday but if you're asking my opinion. I think it's very cool but doesn't say "lady bug" to  me. Might be the colors, maybe not. 

Perforated metal compound eyes . . . I LIKE. How about filling the perforations with torch work, glass and putting a light behind them? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the rusty, crusty look is all.  How does the torch work fit in with the glass?  Melt it down into the holes in the perforated metal?  I used to be into electronics and could make leds slowly glow on and off, among other things, but it was all too fiddely for my metalwork.  I never got all that good at it.  Stunning effect though.  

I slump it into negative spaces in work, mostly Fredric's crosses. At first I bought a tube of different color noodles, they didn't have round. Later I bought a jar of "bright crimson" frit. Frit is crushed and sieved I got -40. It's like sand, well IS sand just really REALLY red.

I didn't want to have to crush the noodles though it's only a hassle, not a real barrier. I'll crunch one up now and then if I want a accent color in the slump. That's a project I need to get back to, I was going for yellow slit pupils in red eyes for a dragon's head. Hadn't pulled it off when something else got my eye. 

I use a refractory paper made for glass work to back the cross, fill the negative space with frit and heat it in the forge until it settles then I temper it by leaving it in a HOT chamber next to the main one to cool slowly. If I leave it in the main forge chamber the glass melts and just flows out and goes it's own merry way. Melted glass is almost indescribably stringy, sticky stuff. 

It's a final step, it's glass so you can't even flex the metal once it's solidified. The below pic is an early project, a crucifix bottle opener I made for the pastor. It was one of my more successful slumps. Yeah I made it so you have to twist it to open a bottle so Pastor Duane could pretend it's not what it is. If God doesn't have a sense of humor I'm in trouble.

Frosty The Lucky.

368266231_carvedsstoneback.JPG.a0e1b73e1b441013af18f5bfa9ab6818.JPG