I Forge Iron

Art Is Art

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to remember to keep our dogs away from you Scott, we don't have snakes up here.

Axle has an expression of pleased accomplishment on his fuzzy face. The squirrel not so much, looks peaceful though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty; Should we send you some snakes?  We got plenty and they will even self locate for you!   I expect some to show up anytime now as we had a "gully washer" and they tend to get washed out of their holes and climb out of the Arroyo.  Used to be our neighbor's dog did a great job of keeping them from reaching our yard, but the 8 dogs now there, I don't know and the field behind my shop has direct access to the arroyo.

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Should we send you some snakes?

if you filet them, sure. Have any good recipes?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, Nodebt said:

Rugged tough that is...

Eating the unwanted puppies is old tradition for trans polar folk. Malamutes are generally pretty good natured dogs: loyal, hard workers. Not so dog friendly if you don't socialize them early. They are rugged tough though, fore sure.

Frosty The Lucky.

I confess,  I have never tasted dog or snake.  Never had the opportunity, I guess.....  I do have a friend in Bisbee who brags about his deep fried rattler and nopales.  He's too cheap to buy me a plane ticket for a visit so I may never get to try it. 

I wonder if fresh caught Alaskan salmon tastes better than canned salmon....

:)

Was it the taste of that moose meat, or was it just hard to chew?  I just got an upper plate last fall and tough cuts of meat are out!  Along with saltwater taffy..... You dont know what you have until its gone.  

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty; Should we send you some snakes?  We got plenty

Thomas, I know a fellow with a flute that could lead them ole snakes right to Frosty's front door, for a price.  8-).

Scott

Absolutely!  I'll be in transit, moving to the Tar Heel state but I'm sure the new owners wont mind a bit.  How many are we talking?  Hundreds, thousands?  How many can an arroyo possibly hold?  They can live/pile up in the old corn crib....

The couple times I've had alligator it was very good, an etoufee and something like fish and chips Cajun style. The tip I got from the owner was to eat the white meat from the tail, the only gator he ordered for the restaurant. 

Moose comes in a full range of goodness and tenderness. Flavor usually depends on what they're eating and how it's cared for after taking. Their browse depends a lot on season and where they range. Like all mammals young is tender and tasty, Prep and recipes can of course be the deal breaker, a skilled chef can ruin moose veal or make an old, feeble, ready to drop, record rack, bull, tender deliciousness.

I've eaten snake a couple times and there was a really wide range of good to EWWW! An old desert rat told me once, rattle snake can get pretty gamy though I don''t recall if it was a diet of rodents or insects that triggered the EWWWW.

Please taste test the filets before you ship them up Thomas, I'm not a fan of EWWW and Deb would ban it completely on first sniff, she don't stand for no EWWW on her plate.

Frosty The Lucky.

The Ewwww factor!  Never mind cooking snake meat...  What is the downright, most hidious odor you have ever smelled?  Touchy subject probably. 

I used to live in a mobile home many years ago and a skunk dug under the skirting, chewed up into the floor insulation and died. I was responsible because I threw bug bombs in there to drive it out.  FAIL.   Nothing on earth like it!  And it only got worse.... Rotten potatoes are bad as well.  Worse if you eat them.

Who sidetracked this thread anyhow?  

When I was working on a sheep farm in Vermont in the summer of 1986, a door blew off the back of the barn and landed in the barnyard. We didn't do anything about it for a few weeks, because we never closed it anyway, and there were other, more urgent projects to hand. After a while, we simultaneously noticed that one of the lambs was missing and that there was a rather strong odor behind the barn. When we finally looked under that door, we found a lamb skeleton covered in liquefied meat, covered by a skin that was rippling and moving from all the beetles burrowing under it. That was pretty much at the top of my Bad Smell List, although Lower Manhattan after 9/11 wasn't great either.

1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

Who sidetracked this thread anyhow?

Nodebt, I like your use of Bobwire. 

Rotten Potatoes. And a decomposing Possum can take many weeks to cease expressing its vile odiouisty.

JHCC, nothing worse than an undulating carcass that demands immediate dispositition:   Blessed are we if we can cover it with dirt, and come back to it in a few months.....

Robert Taylor

When I was in Viet Nam we came across a VC grave in the jungle and were ordered to excavate it because they sometimes camouflaged arms and ammo caches as graves.  Well, this one was an actual grave and the occupant had been there long enough that he was no longer a corpse but not long enough to be a skeleton.  We were ordered to remove the body and dig under it because it had been known that the VC would sometimes put an actual grave on top of an arms cache.  I'm here to tell you that the odor of dead people is much harder to tolerate than the smell of dead animals.  I suspect that we are hard wired to avoid the smell of decomposition of our own species.  The smell in Viet Nam was bad enough that everyone involved had to get new uniforms sent out from the rear and even the plastic handle of a knife I had picked the smell up and I had to throw it out.  Not an experience that I can recommend to anyone.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."