I Forge Iron

Plato

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Pinocchio.  Nobody likes you....  Maybe that's because your rr spike tip nose would start growing when others tell a fib, yarn or other outlandish, unbelievable, long winded spoof of their exploits.  Your photo, nose included, would take up too much bandwidth if that were to happen.  Might stall out the whole forum.   Maybe the internet itself. Poor Pinocchio.....

But. . . But. . . I didn't know it was Pinocchio!:o I thought it was someone who'd been smoking a cigar in a non-smoking area and somebody "explained" the transgression clearly. He looks so surprised. 

I think he needs friends to feel complete.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Nobody likes you....

Honest, Nodebt, I did not see this earlier.  To be perfectly truthful, the New activity on this forum can be the perfect storm, when members post so fast that things go right off the page..... Sincerely, had I seen this earlier, I would have made note of it, but frankly, even when I do, they can be hard to backtrack to...... far be it from me to probosticate Pinocchio with paltry platitudes..... Oh, My Nose!

Really, I I like him a lot!

Robert Taylor

10 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

New activity on this forum can be the perfect storm, when members post so fast that things go right off the page....

I concur 100%.  Theres a slew of interesting things I dont comment on, due to:  priorities, time restraints, missed posts, but mostly lack of knowledge and experience on my part.  I wasn't fishing, just blathering on and trying to have fun as usual.  :)  

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

What don't all Tellurians have that feature?  I thought it was specifically mentioned under "Sol 3" in the guidebook?

Thomas, is there a guidebook for us Tellurians?  I sure could use one.  Badly..... 

I googled "sol 3 guidebook" and came up with Sol Gel Synthesis and learned all about mechanical, optical, electrical and magnetic properties of sol-gel derived materials and the methods for their characterization such as diffraction methods and nuclear magnetic resonance, infrared and Raman spectroscopies.

15 hours ago, Nodebt said:

"I'm watching you...  "Frosty"... or whatever your name really is.  

Shouldn't my  nose grow every time I enter my sign off?

Actually there are a number of stellar type guidebooks. I believe the tellurian entry is from one by folks skylarking around the universe, though it's been a while since I read any entries. IIRC it's almost an adventure travel log. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hitchhiker's Guide doesn't reference Tellus. Seriously no Lensman would hitchhike, stout and hearty fellows that they are.

DANG, now I'm thinking about it I'm going to have to dig up some of my E.E. Doc Smith collection or find some for my Kindle. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't think they'd aged well when I discovered him in the early 60s, some of his invented tech was almost silly and I couldn't get into his almost victorian age American English. It got to where I was sick of, "Right back at you!" as the response to any compliment.  Still, Sci Fi of that era was what was available at the local library so it's what I read. Mother picked up the first couple copies for me when we lived too far away to walk to the library. 

A lot of authors of his era started inventing technology with less tech knowledge than Dc Smith had. A model A Ford was high tech and hydro electric was just coming into it's own. So I make allowances but holy COW! I have a decent collection of "Tom Swift" adventures in anthology format too. I used to write parodies of Tom Swift for touch typing practice even got good grades as book reports. 

Imagine what average folk are going to think of "advanced" tech in today's Sci Fi. Hmmm?

Backstage Lensman? I'll have to search it out. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've read Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells, Raybradbury and a few others, but I can tell I'm treading in deep water even posting this.  I have heard of the Hitchikers Guide, but never read it.  I will.  I am but a neophyte in these smoky realms.  Please forgive.....  I did see a Rod Serling version of "How to serve man" on tee vee.  So there.

You'll love "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" it's straight up British humor, based on an old radio program. It's one of my favorites, I have several copies including one hard back covered in padded leather with "DON'T PANIC" in bold type on the cover and a built in red ribbon bookmark. It's been mistaken for a bible in coffee shops more than once. 

Agreed, the movie is so-so, the TV series better but the radio series actually beats the book. Read the book first

YES, you'll need a Babel Fish! Alas, we all do. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Was that Tom Swift or Tom Swift Jr?  Tom Swift had things like his electric motorcycle and his photo telephone and my Father read them as a kid in the 1940's. (And ended up having a Picture phone on his desk at work!)

Tom Swift Jr had his atomic jet and I read his adventures in the 1960's.

I started with Verne and Wells back in grade school; preferred Verne and went on to the hard science authors; but tried to read a bit of everything to avoid narrowing my brain.  My wife was a big Asimov fan and is very jealous that I saw him in person several times.

Tom Swift Jr had his atomic jet and I read his adventures in the 1960's.

Does Johhny Sokko and His Flying Robot belong in this conversation?  Who cares!  Brain novacaine....:)  I like Verne too.  

32 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Old? 1978 is OLD?

Well, yeah, okay, I guess it is.

Just look at the clothing and haircuts.  Rotary phones.  Ahh, the good ole days.