I Forge Iron

Pallet Wrapper: Anyone Familiar w/ Its Mechanics?

Hey Guys, 

My father-in-law was recently offered a FREE, broken industrial pallet wrapper. He has yet to properly tinker with it, but he believes the only thing at is broken is the motor which operates the spinning steel disc on the base. He has offered it to me, either in pieces or as is. Now, neither he or I know much about electric motors, pallet wrappers, or the mechanics therein. 

It clearly has plenty of steel that could be repurposed, especially that spinning plate. But I am wondering, does this thing have any potential of being converted into a power hammer or press? My FIL did not provide a good standing picture of it, so I have provided an internet picture of the same one, along with pictures he was able to provide. It is a "Synergy 1" by Highlight Industries, Inc.

Please advise,

Red. 

Screenshot_2020-07-22-14-57-01_2.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

These are not built particularly stout, our logistics group is always tearing them up. (Not that they’re easy on any equipment!) Power hammer is definitely out of the question. It could be a good steel resource, but you may be able to get some cash on the resale market if you can get it running well at a low cost. That’s if it worth you time.

Just my two cents,

David

(looks like Thomas types faster than me)

Haha, yes it seems Thomas has the quick draw around these parts. And this is not the first time he has made me research something! :)

Thomas, I have yet to master the TPAAAT Technique... as I am just learning of it haha. But yes, selling if fixed is also an option. The one in the fist picture apparently sold for $1,300. We will see!

I could take a lot of effort to get that running “good”, even if the motor is the only part that needs replaced. It looks like some of the previous repairs are not the best. Also on the resale market, I wouldn’t expect much more than half the original price, so be careful about putting much cash into it. That price may not be too far off through, depends how well it runs and how fast you want to move it.

Not trying to scare you off, just make sure you know what you could be getting into.

David

David, 

Good call. We will definitely take a close look at it; despite it being free, I would hate to put a bunch of time a money into something that could take forever to get sold. I probably wont be able to start looking at it for a while, but if this post is still around after I do, I will give an update.