I Forge Iron

Hey Ho from Texas

wirerabbit

Nice to find this collection of forums. I will be reading through things in the coming weeks. By way of introduction, let me say that I am a potter, living in the Post Oak Savanna of Texas. Harvey moved me from Rockport TX to my current location, and building a new studio has been an ongoing process. As part of my clay education I have always wanted to include blacksmithing for both the tool making and the object making possibilities. My kiln yard is next on the build list and I have made sure to include some space for metal working (anvil, forge, welder, etc) and am looking forward to melting some metal! I will be asking a bunch of questions as I sink further into yet another way of making things.

Taylor, Jeddo TX

Well melting metal is foundry work not blacksmithing.  In blacksmithing if you melt it you've made a mistake.  Even forge welding is a solid state welding process.  Now if you really do want to melt and pour metal; my I commend to your attention the forums over at alloyavenue.com which used to be backyardmetalcasting.com.

If you are interested in smithing WELCOME!

Welcome aboard Taylor, glad to have you. Glad to hear you're looking to educate yourself regarding different types of HOT work. As said already, melting the work is a mistake when blacksmithing as it is firing pottery. Before you get involved in ANY foundry work, casting metals spend extra time studying the safety precautions and PPE. Molten metal is extremely hazardous, one mistake can have molten metal raining out of the sky. Steam explosions can do worse than injure and cripple. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hee haw. Right you are. Of course I anticipate several mistakes, melting something one of the possibilities. Some great information on the forum. Thanks for the welcome, you two. Now I need to get back to surfing the forum. So many pestering questions...

T in TX

We like to help new folks get thoroughly addicted to the craft. It's sort of a mission you know. Several mistakes? SEVERAL!?:o Oh my am I glad you seem to have a sense of humor because I'm going to try to remember you said that to rib you with later on.

Don't worry, I might remember you handed me a delicious straight line but I won't remember what, even if I write it down. It's a TBI thing.

Learning blacksmithing is mostly a game of failure analysis and error correction so if you only make several mistakes you aren't going to learn much. It's about as much fun as a boy can have and not end up in jail. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I learned early on it was a LOT less work to make things you don't need camouflage than it is to grind them nice. Those times were learning to weld but hold true for most everything. Painting IS easier than both though.:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.