I Forge Iron

Belco anvil marked Canada

Welcome aboard... Can't help with the anvil info sorry, might help to know where it is located. From that picture it looks like a farriers anvil. What does it weigh? Do you have any more pictures?

The help I can give is to suggest reading the Read This First thread up in the blue banner. Another thing is posting the same question in two different threads will almost always draw the attention of a moderator. Most of that is explained in the read this first thread which is full of tips on navigating the forum.

thank you Irondragon . Located in BC Canada I tried everything to locate the company but no luck. just want some background on it really. 

Thanks for the heads up Ill read that right away. 2nd post was realizing too late I had posted in the wrong area lol. Cheers!

Good Morning, Raven

BC is a big place.

Enjoy getting used to the Anvil. Where the Anvil was made is not as important as getting used to it. You could give it a name, then it would be part of your family. Next step is making some Tools for your new friend.

Neil

Well it's obviously a cast anvil and so may be quite good, mediocre; or terrible---an ASO! 

To differentiate: does it ring when unconstrained?  If so then cast steel and so not an ASO.

Do the ball bearing test; if it's in the  70%'s it's OK. In the 80's, it's good, high 80's -90% EXCELLENT!

Meanwhile starting out there is a lot to be said about making your beginner's mistakes on an anvil that is ok;  but not excellent!

Hi Thomas 

Well I guess I have a lot of learning to do lol, not sure what that all means so going to have to hit the books. Pretty sure it’s a cast anvil though. 
I’ll have to get back to you on the rest haha

Hi Iron Dragon

Yes the base and mount were part of the package and what drew me to it in the first place. Saved me the time and imagination to create that lol. I particularly was happy to see all the holders for my collection of hammers. Nothing worse than wasting time looking for the tool you need. Still have a ways to go to get the rest items I need and set up a workable shop so I’m going to look at as many photos of shop set ups that I can. I would love to see yours if you are willing 

Hi Iron Dragon

Yes it came that way and it what drew me to it. Plus the added tool holders for my collection of hammers. I’ve still got a ways to go with purchasing the items I still need and setting up an organized shop. I like everything organized so I don’t waste time looking for things lol. So in the mean time I will be researching and checking out pictures of everyone’s shop set up to see what works and what will work for me. I would like to see a picture of your shop if you’re willing 

" I'm pretty sure it's a cast anvil"

Cast plaster of Paris? Cast brass? Cast iron? Cast steel?  "Cast" is meaningless without what it's cast from.  Cast iron are ASOs.  Cast Steel anvils can be some of the finest anvils made; or just mediocre.  The devil is in the details!

I don't have many pictures showing the shop, especially organization which doesn't exist in mine.:) However I know where everything is so I don't have to spend a lot of time looking for stuff. We just added a 12X14 foot addition, making the shop 10 foot wide by 42 feet long and the pictures show a lot of disorganization as I move stuff around.

Looking at the power hammer & coal forge.

100_1762.thumb.JPG.adffc4000114f6fa75b70153a960c28e.JPG

We also have an outside pad that we roll the propane forge out to when using it. The anvil is now mounted to a wood stump like the improvised anvil is on.

100_1890.thumb.JPG.6c910c80b18ec3cd9b581cff8cf68a24.JPG

Looking in the outside door at the new addition area on the far end.

100_2090.thumb.JPG.4b3dde41b67aadca13dc18475882fa22.JPG

Another shot with that half wall removed.

100_2102.thumb.JPG.cf3d84a8ec73f9de0b513a89db022490.JPG

The other side with the garage where the grinder's, welder's and mechanical tools are located. The addition to the blacksmith shop is on the right. Still a lot to do with it as far as organizing stuff.

100_2103.thumb.JPG.b3721cd0072f9ab89072545e7b9b73cf.JPG

On 7/20/2020 at 7:01 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Well it's obviously a cast anvil

Didn't Paul Bunyan cast anvils to get the hook a ways off Superior's shore when he went fishing?

Frosty The Lucky.

Drain the swamp---and deprive the Project Blue Ox Book from all those explanations?  Nay let us ride the 'gators across the slough of Despond on our way to the Cricketer's wicket gate.  (I'm expecting John to grab his head going OW OW OW about now...I feel a great Friday hath come upon us!)

"P'r'aps," said Trot, who was very glad to sit down beside her companions, "you've got corns."

"Corns? Nonsense! Orks never have corns," protested the creature, rubbing its sore feet tenderly.

"Then mebbe they're - they're - What do you call 'em, Cap'n Bill? Something 'bout the Pilgrim's Progress, you know."

"Bunions," said Cap'n Bill.

-- L. Frank Baum, The Scarecrow of Oz

Hey Iron dragon 

This is great thank you . I guess organized was a poor choice of words as it was more layout I was looking for lol. My shop is organized chaos :) I know where everything is it’s just a bit messy haha which leads to creativity for me lol. So it’s layout I was looking for and these are great. My challenge is I don’t have a shed or out building to work in so I’ll have to set up something outside which isn’t ideal. So it’s a work in progress but knowing kinda what my layout should look like will help me decide what I need to get started at least. 
cheers

Layout is a lot like a kitchen---you have your work triangle optimized for efficiency. Forge--Anvil--Postvise-- just a turn or a step and a turn away for doing smaller stuff.  Add in a powerhammer or doing longer pieces and you may need more room.

Grab some cardboard and cut it to size for your forge, postvise, anvil, workbench, powerhammer, acorn table. etc.  The grab a piece of stock the usual size and pretend it's hot and you are moving it from station to station.  What can get closer and what needs more room?  I am planning to put a gazinta in the middle of my driveway so I can drop a 6" postvise stand in it and be able to run around it with full length sticks of steel for certain jobs---and store it nice and dry in the smithy other times.  (My propane forge is on wheels and I have a portable coal forge as well.)

John; that quote was so spot on it probably has a center punch mark and dykem all over it!

Iron Raven: quoting entire posts especially picture heavy posts hogs bandwidth for no good reason. IFI has members in around 150 countries around the world many without broad band and have to pay by the minute. Please don't do that! Making the moderators edit your posts for you really irritates them. 

Doesn't make any friends amongst regular members either.

Frosty The Lucky.