I Forge Iron

I have decided to put my amazing "skill" of drilling off center holes to use! Been messing about with forging cam latches and decided to try a cam action hold down. Used leaf spring so the clamp pivot was built in.i cut pipe to make an angle adapter for the bottom nut.  

It takes a little more time to set up but if you were doing the same repeated job I think it would be a big help. 

To make construction easier I cheated and built a bandsaw mount that lets me make end cuts. I used it on the cam lever and the big threaded rod so it could fit through the spring and into the cam cleanly. 

Below are a few pix and a couple of the latch levers that started me on this tangent.

20200521_084749_resized.jpg

20200521_084328_resized.jpg

20200521_084600_resized.jpg

20200521_075814_resized.jpg

20200521_064133_resized.jpg

20200520_204632_resized.jpg

20200519_080220_resized.jpg

20200517_090855_resized.jpg

20200517_090909_resized.jpg

This little innovation from Tristan's work shop works a treat. It's wide enough to work long stock bypassing the shank. Sliding the shank closer or farther from the pivot fine adjusts for thickness nicely.  

I found the angle on the pipe section isn't too important, any of the 3 you gave me work as well. I'm thinking a short straight piece will cock enough to match the bottom of most heels. 

Want an Aloe Vera Tristan? Fresh soil and happy. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

This little innovation from Tristan's work shop works a treat.

Thank you,  glad it's working well. I made 3 and they all seem to have found new homes,  I gotta make another. Guess I wont break out the angle guage for the bottom.

I would love some aloe, I figured it was all taken already.

Nope, one fellow took a couple, the rest are sitting here feeling all rejected. Deb's trying to get trimmed leaves to take root. She didn't even want a small one for the RV, she's rooting them in the same size pots though. :rolleyes: 

Do we know anybody traveling between the Valley and your neighborhood? I don't plan on going to Anch. if I don't have to or until after a vaccine is approved. 

Jer

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Aye a veritable Cam Bridge it is!

It is a tad on the big size. The one I made for Frosty is more compact. One could make it tiny if they wanted.8-)

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do we know anybody traveling between the Valley and your neighborhood? I don't plan on going to Anch. if I don't have to or until after a vaccine is approved. 

Is Sean  near you? Haven't seen him in a while, maybe he could?

I'm not tossing my old style hold fasts out, Tristan's cam lock hold fast  isn't so hot for general work, where it really shines is for repetitive tasks. For example you need to make 50 leaves. Forge the leaves and use the cam lock for texturing. One time adjustment then it's in whack whack and out. 

Another just occurred to me, incising the faces for cable or diamond twists. 

It's more of a specialty tool but an excellent one in it's bucket.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Very nice. I once had a bunch of 2x8 lumber to jigsaw off templates, and wanted a fast way to hold it on the workbench. So I cut a cam shape into the end of a few scrap pieces of 1x4 wood. The cam just pivots on a bolt in a hole in the bench, and pushes the work up against a fence. It worked great!

Were I able to graze the scrap stream I'd grab all the destaco clamps I saw. We only had a few in high school Heavy Metal shop and it was always a scramble to claim them to use on the drill press, mills, etc. 

Not having even one I can't compare them to Tristan's cam lock hold fast for withstanding blacksmitherly treatment. The cam lock holds hard and takes a licking. 

Frosty The Lucky.