I Forge Iron

Quad-State 2021

September 24-26, 2021

UPDATE: SOFA has posted the following message on their Facebook page as of 6/5/21:

The dates for Quadstate 2021 are Sept 24-26. Registration will be handled a little differently this year as we will be using Eventbrite. We are still in the process of getting registration setup, please be patient.

• 1 year later...

registration is now open. And every thing will be as normal. 

I could not find the schedule of events on the SOFA site, but if you go to the "buy tickets", on the Quad-state banner, it will take you to where you buy tickets and has a list of events and times. Should have the news letter out shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, some old codger talked me into going to Q-S this year. I've been eschewing my annual motorcycle trips to help with mother-in-law, but my wife insists that with the situation now she can handle it for five days. Sounds like she needs a vacation from me. 

Anyway, I'll be taking my pickup, but my camping gear is geared for motorcycle camping. Does the campsite have trees where I can hang a hammock? I typically use a large fly over a jungle hammock. 

This is my first trip. What should I bring? What should I NOT bring? Do they sell bulk coal? I made a run a couple of years back to South Carolina to pick up some good metallurgical grade bituminous (that was mined in Kentucky!) Should I bring a coal barrel?.

I am not sure about at Quadstate but my supplier is about 15 mins from there that does sell bulk coal, outa KY. He had stoker @ $215 a ton this spring. He only had 2 ton left after i got mine but he also sells bulk from about the size of a softball to 300# blocks. You can go and fill your barrel, weigh it, and pay what ever the weight is. 

What to bring? Never been to Ohio have ya? Today it was 95* out, by the first of September it could be in the 40's. Regardless of temp prepare for rain. You do have to bring boudin and andouille over to the house on Monday though for the cook out. I aint boudin in ages now. 

I also do not know about their camping but there are several other campsites near there. Come to think of it if i can this weekend i will make a post of campsites near there. The ones i know are about a 20-25 minute drive form the fairgrounds. 

I have a small place or i would tell everyone to camp out here. But i do have a barn and there is some hay for the barn cats if anyone is interested. 

Much appreciated, Billy. I can't speak for the boudin we get here. I hear the best comes from around the Lafayette area and further west, but LaPlace is the andouille capital of the world. I'll be sure to stick a few links in my cooler. 

I'm not picky about the size and shape of the coal. If I can fill my barrel with stoker and get a couple of those big blocks it will do me for a couple of years. Now I got an induction forge, I mainly use coal for welding cable or things I can't build a coil to fit in.

There are trees for shade but not spaced for hammocks; Also good shade goes *fast*.  There is usually a food truck on-site and the fair grounds are on the edge of Troy so fast food and restaurants are fairly close; though not walkable.   Lots more stuff available where the interstate exit for Troy is.  Traditionally there have been a lot of potlucks on-site as well.

Temps range from mid 90's with similar humidity to COLD with a strong wind, (I've had ice in my water bucket one Q-S morning).  At least one good rainstorm is common.  All the demonstrations are held in roofed structures with bleacher seating.

There is an interstate exit for Troy? Huh, never used it. Really though just a short trip down Troy pike,15 or 20 mins, and you are in Huber Heights which is the outskirts of Dayton. Some decent eateries and hotels there. Right down I-75 just on the North end of Dayton is a location called Miller Lane, looks like a pretty nice place lots of restaurants and hotels. Eat there do not stay there, it is also a main hub for illicit activities in the entire country. 

So i looked up campgrounds near troy, there are a bunch. I am working on getting them listed by distance. I live in Fairborn myself which is about 30 mins. from Troy. Oh by the way dont expect people in Ohio to give you distance in miles, we do it in time. So 30 mins is what i am going for as the furthest away. 

Thanks again. I already bought tickets for the on site camping. If I cant sling my hammock between my truck and a tree... oh wait! I'll have my truck! I can make a hammock stand between now and then! Problem solved. Is the ground fairly soft? Stone free? I'm thinking of making a helix anchor for the stand.

So one of the other things I was curious about. Are these demos "hands on"? Should I bring PPE? Left hand gloves? My favorite hammers? (Well my 50# LG would be a bit much, but my OTHER favorite hammers).

I’ll be bringing my forging station along with tables of tools for sale and will be set up, anyone is welcome to join in if there is the opportunity. Myself and another young smith, Jonathan Pinkston,  will be set up, with two fully equipped forging stations. We’ll be there all day for every day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, I assume the ticket is per person, but is it per day or does a general admission cover the weekend? Me and the misses are looking to go all weekend, but at $110 for two people, if thats per day its pricey lol.

You know I've been really looking forward to going to Quad-State again for several years now and can't go again this year-----I hope it rains everyday except for when it's snowing or 110 degC out!

Actually I hope enough folks show up to make it a wonderful time of demos and tailgating for you.  Just a helpful suggestion---don't mention you know me! (And don't wear lederhosen and an aloha shirt and a disreputable red hat!)

• 3 weeks later...