I Forge Iron

Armstrong-Blum Marvel #2 Power Hacksaw

So I purchased an old Armstrong #2 power hacksaw yesterday off of FB marketplace.  I downloaded the manual, and tonight loosened everything up and oiled it well.  Motor runs and the the machine wants to work, but it's hanging up at the beginning of the draw stroke.  Any ideas on where to start tinkering with it?  

Disconnect the saw frame from the linkage and slide it back and forth manually. There could be vertical lash cocking the frame in the guides too. 

My other thought would be a wear point in the linkage but that's down my probability list a ways.

Frosty The Lucky.

Think I diagnosed it, haven't fixed it yet.  Motor is a 3/4 hp single phase capable of 110 or 220.  Previous owner had it on 220 then re-wired it incorrectly for 110.  Seems to be running on less than full power.  Of course the wiring diagram is covered in paint, but the wires are at least labeled.  Haven't dived back in to figure out how to wire it right yet. 

Wire wheeled the paint off the motor plate and was able to read the wiring diagram.  My diagnosis was correct.  It's amazing how well a motor works if you wire it correctly :)

So now the saw runs pretty well.  I have some 1.4" solid round 1045 that I was doing test cuts on.  Made a disk .13" thick that was only off by .003 on thickness, and that was with the used blade it came with. 

I do love a power hacksaw running a little on the slow side.  It's one of those old school tools that sort of reminds you to slow down your life a little and stop stressing.  Horizontal bandsaw or a power hack saw cranked up to jiggling warp-speed just doesn't do that.  I guess it's sort of like using a woodworking hand plane that's tuned to perfection:  Makes you wish you could step back in time a few decades and focus on the quality of the process, not just the speed.

They never seem to come up at a decent price around here--unless they are the rinky-dink lightweights or the behemoths.  I'll probably eventually find the right one when I'm about 90 and have to lube it with my old-geezer drool.

IDK for sure how many strokes per minute this one is running, failed to measure that.  I do have a couple of videos on my phone, but no good pics yet, and no videos of it running right. 

This one's chain driven.  I'm not sure if it was an aftermarket modification or what, but it works pretty good.

Someone who'd turn a horizontal band saw up to jiggling warp speed is the same kind of tool abusing moron who'd lean on it to help it cut and can keep their bugger hooks off my tools. My horizontal band saw is the only power tool in my shop I'll start then walk away to do something while it does it's job.

The sound of a power hacksaw is pleasant.

Frosty The Lucky.