I Forge Iron

I believe I will try to make a steel faced WI hammer

That is what I thought. Trial and error. I think I will try Frosty’s suggestion and I pray it works. What I had been planning to try was roughly what Thomas said.  I was really not wanting to have to go that route. I am dreading the HT step as it is. Being a noob, I fully expect the faces to crack or pop off in the quench. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scribe trick is to let you know when you've ground enough off. Doing it on the hardened face will require the scribe be hardened so use a hardened one. The scribe in my machinist's square works a treat.

I was thinking you wanted to know how deep decarb was after welding. My bad, your question was obvious. I'm blaming the tree!

Frosty The Lucky.

No, you were right. A mild steel scribe worked great. It scratched the decarb areas , but wouldn’t after I got down to smooth steel. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch down. Thanks for the tip. 

Well the one which was a bit heavy is no longer a problem. It has walked away. If I were my dad, I would say one of the grandkids was playing with it and lost it. Not being my dad, I am sure it was just me that lost it. 

The face would not stick on the smaller one. I will give it another go in a few days.