I Forge Iron

Anvil ID and Repair Ideas

All, 

I need help trying to ID this anvil that I found in an old building on my parents farm. From the attached pictures, the only thing that looks like any sort of lettering is the upside down 3 that is on the bottom of the base on the Heel Side. As it sits right now, the anvil weighs about 110 lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as seen in the pictures, there is quite a bit of damage that has been done to the face of this anvil throughout its life. I would eventually like to restore it for some light use, and then return it to my parents place as a decoration in the shop. I am thinking of trying to use the Gunther Method for fixing it up, but any other better ideas are welcome, especially if anyone knows a lot more about the makeup of this anvil.

All help is greatly appreciated, and Thank you so much in advance!

IMG_20200708_194038.jpg

IMG_20200708_194103.jpg

IMG_20200708_194009.jpg

IMG_20200708_194149.jpg

IMG_20200708_194025.jpg

I know very little, I am sure more will be along to advise... 

I'll give you a run down of what you'll get though! 

Plenty of space there for light use, get some hot metal and a hammer out! 

If you're going to repair only gunther will do. 

At a guess the anvil is cast from the sticky outy three. 

I think it looks lovely as is and I wouldn't touch it. 

KG

I don't think I really know enough to weigh in on whether it's ok to use as is either. She's obviously seen a lot of work over the years. I just find it interesting how it broke so symmetrically. almost like someone broke an edge off and then just worked their way down, turned the anvil around and did the same thing to the other side. Or the top plate started to delaminate and someone decided to cut it off that way. No idea.

The divot underneath the hardy and the raised section underneath the heel and the shape of the horn remains makes me think that the anvil is a steel faced cast iron anvil.  As such very hard to repair as you have cast iron to weld too.  Use it as it stands!  Most shops don't need ornaments but tools and that still qualifies as a tool---and one you don't have to worry about learning on.

That raised section under the heel should produce a good guess as to the original brand if someone has AinA handy.