I Forge Iron

H-11 hand blower?

Omnislug

I'm curious as to why someone would want to.  For that price, one can generally find a quality older blower (head) usually including shipping.  For about that or less, one can get a darned good electric blower from some sources assuming electricity is available in the smithy--and since constant airflow is extremely important to the "tractor supply" anthracite coal many are using it tends to be a good option.

Good question to ask though:  On other Chinese made blowers, I have heard nothing but negatives and frustrations so significant feedback on these before plonking your money down is is a wise path.

And dang, I could sure use a week or two in a yurt down at Fort Stevens.  Unfair that you have me drooling for some vacation and de-stress time :rolleyes:

Ha! Yeah it's paradise here for sure till the big tsunami comes.

I have a electric blower, the housing is starting to crack . this one I've wondered about since I saw it. I'd make a bellows if I had more space. Sometimes prefer the control of a hand cranked blower.  I got a Chinese one that arrived with the bearing housing part of the casting badly cracked or I'd be using it right now. Save your money for a better one!

If you have electricity in the shop a $13 mattress inflator puts out way more than enough air for a good sized fire. I pick them up at garage, yard, etc. sales when I see them for cheap. They come 120v ac or 12v dc, some are both but last time I checked at Wally World they were IIRC almost $20.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the feedback. I have electricity but want a reliance from it. Going for other tools that don't use electricity as well. The sun's going shut that down permanently, wouldn't doubt in my lifetime the way our magnetic field is weakening far faster than predicted. If that happens most of us here will become. Far more valuable very quickly though!

Way back when Y2K was a big deal, and all the "experts" predicted the computers, power grid etc would all fail, I set up my shop with all human powered equipment. Post drill grinder, hand cranked blower's, kerosene lamps, wood heat etc. Then it didn't happen but I still have all that equipment and enjoy the heck out of using it.

Nobody's seen this one used or has used one? Angele blacksmith supplies in Germany sells them, and on a pre-made forge they have. they have replacement gears as well so this makes more sense than a old one if it works as well.

Boy that site was hard to sort through but I found the H-11 blower, yea!:) 

I'll be interested to see what anyone has to say and will wait for your review if you bite that bullet.

Frosty The Lucky.

I feel the same, don't necessarily want to get it if it's not enough for my forge. I got several tons of well burning anthracite for free so it might be a bit more work than I'd like. I've heard lots don't like anthracite at all but what I have works pretty well. I have used good bituminous and it definitely requires less air. I do miss the ability to make a ducks nest with that coal, It's harder to weld with what I have.

Might make a bellows but I'm keeping my eye out for a old electric  or belt driven blower also I could modify to hand cranked.

Engele sells it specifically for forges so maybe it's just fine, still want feedback before I get it.

Just because someone sells something specifically for a given purpose does't mean it's actually any good for it.

Have you watched the Forged In Fire episodes using coal forges and hand cranked blowers? Ask her if their blowers are the ones used on FIF. Watching how furiously contestants have to turn the cranks to get decent heat is all I need to know. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No I don't pay that much attention even though I watch. I'm thinking one of the last 3-4 used hand crank and coal. I think there's a Youtube channel with episodes and brief writeups. Might be better than sitting through a bunch, even if you only have to watch the first 10 minutes.

Frosty The Lucky.