I Forge Iron

Anvil identification with serial number

I am trying to dig up some information on this anvil.  To be honest i am not hoping for much because there are no stamps or markes besides what looks like a touch mark on the far left, a weight (150) and a serial number.  From the appearance I would say it looks like a forged anvil.  The owner hit it lightly with an angle grinder.  All the marks on the face make me kind of assume the face is a little soft but that is only a guess. 

What are your thoughts?  Is there any way to identify the maker of this anvil and perhaps the estimated quality before I drive a couple hours to check it out?

Screenshot_20200706-130723_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-130707_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-130736_Facebook.jpg

received_650916715503154.jpeg

received_196105541827612.jpeg

My guess is a Trenton farriers anvil. The caplet shape on the bottom is the main clue, along with the placement of the serial number.

As far as the marks go, maybe they are from beating cold metal. Don't do any more grinding to the face as this will remove the hardened surface, overall looks to be in pretty good condition.

The Serial number looks like A86517, someone with a copy of AIA can probably verify that. I think Hay Budden also used an A prefix but don't think they were that high. Arm & Hammer also had a caplet indentation but the underside of the heal should show power hammer marks. Probably a Trenton though. Have you tried a ring & rebound test?

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Have you tried a ring & rebound test?

The anvil is a couple hours away.  I wanted to gather some initial info before making a trip.  

The guy was asking 1100 bucks but after I asked him where he came up with that number he said he knew nothing about anvils and just looked at some classified prices.  I told him that anvil prices can vary $1-6 per lb based on brand, condition and performance and can go for more if they are extremely sought after anvils.  He then said he was open to offers.  I told him i wouldnt make an offer until i had some more info.  I figgured I would let him know a low end and high end offer before I drive up to look at it and let him know i would give him a final offer when i check it out (ring and rebound)