I Forge Iron

Full time Blacksmith

We are all familiar with the ancient photos of dark and decrepit blacksmith workshops of old. We tend to idolise them as a thing of the past.  They used to be in most town or suburbs but have mostly disappeared.

Or have they? 

When they are a rarity for obvious reasons, they are not extinct. In fact i believe that the internet tends to magnify the illusion that they are. 

Websites like this and others seem to be visited mainly by newcomers and hobbyist giving the impression that full time blacksmith don't exist anymore. Either the market does not require them or the skills are lost.  

The above generalisation might apply to some countries or some regions but is by no means accurate. There are scores of full time blacksmith that make a living forging and that do not enjoy social media or posting photos of their work.

As an (ex) full time blacksmith, I had a long list of workshops I could count on to subcontract work i had no time to do myself. Are they still there? Most likely just like myself, they have aged and gone silent or just working as a pastime. 

Yet many more remain active and have passed their skills to a new generation that remains active and makes new things.

The question is ... who do you know, personally or by reputation, that works full time blacksmithing? Artistic, architecture or the ubiquitous blades, does not matter, even when i am particularly interested in public artwork, the type commissioned by local government to display in a public space. 

And why are they so elusive? 

Your reply is appreciated.

In my area, say a 100 mile radius of rural western  Colorado I know of two world class architectural/fine art working Smith's, at least one good teacher,a nationally known semi-retired bladesmith, and a varying but growing dozen or so group of young Smith's say 18-30 who have enough years starting out as a business that I recognize their names.

If I go back to the eastern slope, Colorado Springs, I could find roughly the same numbers. A year or so ago a couple friends and I did a late fall camping trip to the Roaring Fork valley (Carbondale, Co) and renewed a relationship of about 6 well know Smith's from my past. And ran across far more working Smith's that I did not know.

I haven"t been to the Vail valley to Denver "corridor" in far too long but I still know of a few "oldies" and a bunch of new names that seem to keep popping up.

I could go on and if I were to go to Sante Fe/Taos/Albuquerque area I could do the same. No shortage here even in areas not close to the major ski/ vacation areas.

And then I could go to a number of other states with similar results. States where I have long ago associates and a thriving population of all flavors of Smith's. To name a few,,, Oregon/Washington, Wisconsin, and just the general Midwest.

This would be a mix of all your catagories. 

When I started, our craft was "badly bent", not broke, but definitely badly bent! Now blacksmithing appears to fall into a catagory of, well perhaps not a promising career choice, but certainly more than possible with a serious time Investment of, say, 3 to 5 dedicated years.

And of the ones I've run into, there seems to be plenty of work and no real competition amonst them. 

It's a good time to be a working smith.

Bob Patrick, currently living and working in NW Arkansas is a legend himself.  And, we at BOA (Blacksmith Organization of Arkansas) treasure him as the founder and still very active member of the group.

I come from a rather unique area but; I apprenticed under a blacksmith in a small town with 3 other working smiths, then schooled with another full time Smith a couple towns away. At that time there were at least 4 others in a 15 town or so area.

I myself have practiced for 37 years now but am slowing down greatly to declining health. 

My son, who is fairly well trained is moving on to other pastures.

I am hoping to be able to preserve all my equipment in case he desires to return to the art someday.

arfist, good idea to preserve your equipment if it's not a burden.  Sometimes the young ones get into a situation in their later years where they recall what Dad did with his craft, and decide they want to give it a whirl, sorta reliving the past memories.

One of my students went on to be a full time blacksmith in Columbus Ohio.  I was surprised to find so many full time smiths in the northern half of New Mexico compared to the Columbus Ohio region.  More market out here!  (Though Christopher Thomson Ironworks does a lot of high end work nationally!)

arftist, I hear you on that.  I have heard so many stories of folks who, for one reason or another, had to give up some equipment like you mentioned only to find themselves later needing or wanting to get back to using that equipment, but at twice the price.  Not a blacksmithing story, but I once bought a Winchester Model 12 shotgun (a collector's item now) at a pawn shop for $75.00.  I had to sell it to pay bills and give up hunting for several years.  When I decided to get back into bird hunting, those Model 12's were going for anywhere from $800 to $1200.  Best of luck to you!

arftist Most equipment can be sold, but getting the same piece of equipment later will cost a whole lot more than what you sold it for, and not be in the same condition. If the equipment is paid for, your only cost will be storage.  If you get a project that needs that piece of equipment, you can accept the project and make some money.  

It hurts when you must pass a cherished piece of equipment on to someone else.  Take comfort in the fact that they can take care of the equipment, use it, cherish it, and then pass it on again.

Ask the son if he wants the equipment.  Let it be his choice. 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, arkie said:

arfist, good idea to preserve your equipment if it's not a burden.  Sometimes the young ones get into a situation in their later years where they recall what Dad did with his craft, and decide they want to give it a whirl, sorta reliving the past memories.

If not the son, then great grandson or great granddaughter. My great grandfather was a blacksmith. His kids sold all of his equipment except his anvil, which my dad still has.