I Forge Iron

Chainsaw Chain Damascus knife

Andrew Golabek

Hey guys, been a long time since I’ve posted, thought some might be interested in one of my latest little projects. My dad was throwing away a worn out chainsaw chain (too worn to be resharpened). I decided to try and forge it into a knife.

first step I simply took the worn dirty chain, and wrapped it in thin steel wire to keep it in one piece. I proceeded to forge weld it, and folded it until I was happy with how solid the billet felt. No cleaning of the steel was required, however a high temperature and proper atmosphere were absolutely necessary, especially at the beginning as it was tricky to stick. Anyways, here’s the finished piece and some progress pictures. Altogether only a couple of hours and gives me some confidence in my forge welding. 

Tempered at 350f, considering the steel was likely lower carbon, and the feel during sharpening etc I would put the hardness at a maximum of 56-58.

CBEB3161-3961-4AC9-8B6F-E8431CB7488D.jpeg

8CB3EB58-2A57-47B4-AB42-566D57F4E20A.jpeg

37355DF9-212E-45F5-B0E0-184294A65F87.jpeg

3465BE7F-1705-49DF-9C8C-C778A864E330.png

DC258D59-CD33-48A4-AFD7-9BF6061A24CF.png

The ONLY parts of a chain saw chain that aren't high carbon are the links, teeth and pins are high carbon, links are medium for toughness.  That's a good quality chain of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 6 months later...

That knife looks very serious. I wouldn't mess with a guy if he had such a weapon with him. Good work! I wonder if I can do the same thing with my chainsaw chain. Unfortunately, my chainsaw broke several months ago and I didn't know what to do with it until that day.

The problem is that I have a scroll saw and I'm not really sure that it can cut metal chain. I was reading information here https://mitersawjudge.com/best-scroll-saw-reviews-and-buying-guide/ but didn't find anything about cutting metal materials. I have an old axe and I think that it would be interesting to use chainsaw chain the same way you did. I think that would be an ideal weapon for a viking, lol.

Cheers, Joey.

Hack saw and cut the part that isn't hardened for teeth---though as you can sharpen a chainsaw chain with a file the teeth are not that hard too.  Or get it hot cut and use a hot cut.  Most folks I know use an angle grinder.  I have to say that if this is a blocker you most likely are not ready to weld it up.

• 5 months later...