I Forge Iron

Welding Table - advice

17 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

"Stakes, Vise and Angle Grinder" everything a modern Vampire hunter needs!  Wedded is ok; Welded to them not so much!

Made may day, had a hearty laugh there^^   Although that tool stand like like a well inhabited retirement home for tired tools... :/

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

One suggestion is to weld a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 inch (6 and 9 mm) rod across the heads of the bolts (forming a T) that are used to tighten and hold things in place.

You mean like the red thing? Bought!

ACtC-3ehqweGg8g_ZGAKHUuivq60ilyQseDPPUFh

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

No one ever said you could only have one table.  One for heavy work, and one for light work would be nice. 

For those with the space for both, sure. I figure, a heavy one will do for all lighter work too.

So, I found weights for the bars and calculated the parts again. While the frame is lighter than Glenn assumed, all components could still be taken down a notch.

ATM, weights per [kg]:

• H-sections 6.9
  • Bottom Supports around H-section 3.5
  • Top supports 7.3
  • 1 Expander ~14
  • Long side of top frame, with expander bearing 9.1 (still haven´t had an epiphany on how to suspend it simply inside the top long frame without loosing the "plug-in connection" there.)
  • As Glenn said, steel part of top plate 23.4. Best divide this into 2 sections. Reducing the thickness means the holes get too short..I guess? Planned to modify a few clamps like he does at 8:04.

I found smaller tubing with the same wall thicknesses which should do the trick.

40x50x3 & 50x50x4    --->  30x30x3 & 40x40x4     (30mm =1.2'', 40mm = 1 3/5'')

The rectangular tubing at the end of the expander(s) can be aluminum. No reason for it to be heavy or bomb-proof. I´ll see about another suspension system for the long bars...

Anyone have a recommendation what weight I should aim for so I (80kg) can with no trouble apply a little force to something clamped onto the table/into a vise on the table without it shaking? Basically, what you´d expect of a good workbench, hobbyist size.

So, another way to hang the helpers.

wQBTCusjp3Lp6CKtohBjj8xCumDYtacA_zH86yYQ

Helper on the short side of the table, suspended in the long frame right beneath the table top plates.

Red is 30x30x3 in 40x40x4 in a cut-off 50x50x4. I have no confirmation yet that red telescopes into 40x40x4. In general though, this gets it a lot less complex and probably just as difficult to align in right angles. Fine-tuning after I have confirmation. A good thing is, I now can place the legs yet a little farther apart.

Keep working at the project. Go to the steel yard and physically look at, and handle, the materials you are considering for the build.  The more time you spend on this end the closer you get to what you want.