I Forge Iron

Neither fish nor fowl

NIce truck Old Crew. I gave a 72 Highboy (360, factory 4bbl, 4 speed) to a local out here. He has it up and running now, and it looks good.

Welshj, those are just a few of the cars I own. I didn't mention the 03 F550 flatbed, 06 F450 contractor bed, 99 SC2, 98 SL1,  Neon, Caravan, Probe, 01 3500 4x4 6 speed Cummins,  06 Ram 1500 4x4 mega cab hemi, 06 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab Cummins,  94 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins , or the 04 Pontiac Vibe GT.  The 94 is the donor for the 56 sedan. I have 2 more 94s  that I have to go pick up, and looking to go to Burlington WY this weekend to get a 56 Imperial sedan parts car, if I can get the 40' car trailer unloaded in time. I gave my first car to a friend in TX. 1974 Gold Duster 318 4bbl 3 speed stick. It was a mess and he is converting it into a Demon. I got outbid on a wrecked 03 Ram SRT/10 that would have been the donor for the 56 2dr.  Also looking at the cast iron V10s as they put out 400-450 ft lb from 1,300 to 5,000 rpm. but there is not the aftermarket for them like the Viper engine. Could also do the 5.7/6.1/6.4 swap. Depends on what I find for the right price.  My all time favorite car though is a 41 Willys coupe. Have not got one of those........ yet.

Holy... lol. I thought I was doing good with five cars.

'18 fiat spider abarth, '13 fiat 500 abarth, '18 jeep compass, '99 2500 HD, and a little '64 austin cooper.

Hmmm... 41 willy's. Good choice.

If we're talking dream cars- mines a '29 model A truck, old school blown hemi, fenderless... big and littles, old school hot rod look....sigh....

I also have several vehicles.   For trucks from newest to oldest 2018 dodge crewcab cummins 4500 welding rig truck with 2 miller pro 300 caterpillar diesel machines with reels,   2016 f350 crewcab 6.7 deleted daily driver,   2013 f250 crewcab work crew truck,   two 2002 freight liner fl50 trucks with mercedes diesels and allison trans. 1 to pull my  50 foot drop deck trailer 1 for running gear for the last truck on the list.  1975 ford crewcab 4x4 with a factory ford V636 diesel made by caterpillar otherwise known as the 3208. The current project 1969 crewcab 4x4 f250  1 of only 524 produced with factory a/c !!      2    1939 Diamond T trucks  the 2 combined will become an extended cab riding on one of the freightliner chassis.

For SUVS     2004 Excursion with a fully built 6.0 and built tranny. A tire smoking very satisfying big black school bus AKA the family wagon and the wife 2015 grand cherokee diesel {about to be deleted}

2008 CVO springer and 2012 CVO roadglide

just sold a 68 gto with factory ac and his and hers shifter and 400 and a 67 mustang to finance my 1969 build

When the 69 highboy dent side is done it will be my only gasoline powered vehicle with more than 2 wheels!

On the vehicle side, I'm playing with a 74 Dodge Dart I picked up for a song, and a xxxxxx stern drive Bayliner.  I'd be fine with the Bayliner becoming an artificial reef, but I like the Dart.

Did the head gaskets and freeze plugs, raised the dang torque bars to where it didn't scrape the wheel wells when you make a turn, and we're currently playing with the carburetor and getting rid of all the assorted duct tape and bubble gum from the previous owner.  This is far more literal than I would have believed possible. The vacuum hose is connected to the brake booster with silicon caulk.  Funny things, intake and exhaust bolts work better when they're not just hand tight.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:35 AM, George N. M. said:

I was thinking more of whether the hive colors would have any effect.  Bee hives are traditionally white (or tan for woven hives) and I was wondering if the red and blue color scheme would have any effect.

Like N Special said, yes, they see colours but their spectrum is different from humans. we see red to violet, they can not see red but can see ultraviolet. 

White is for heat reflection, and makes the hives visible to us. Unfortunately a long row of hives can be confusing for bees who occasionally end up in the wrong hive. The end of the row is the hive who generally gains population at the detriment of the central hives. 

Painting the front of the hive in different colors is one way to aid orientation, but don't use red, start from orange down to blue. No need to do this for a hobbist with two hives obviously if not for the fun of it. :)

And if you wonder how come the bee from another hive is not recognised by the guards at the entrance and stopped? ... well, it comes down to attitude. The bee that intends to enter the wrong hive with the intention to steel honey, does so in a suspicious manner that is easily recognised. The bee that comes from the field loaded and enters the wrong hive, does so in a straight line without a second thought and is let in.   

NS ... do you still get africanised colonies in your corner of the woods? 

On 7/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, Nobody Special said:

Did the head gaskets and freeze plugs, raised the dang torque bars to where it didn't scrape the wheel wells when you make a turn, and we're currently playing with the carburetor and getting rid of all the assorted duct tape and bubble gum from the previous owner.  This is far more literal than I would have believed possible. The vacuum hose is connected to the brake booster with silicon caulk.  Funny things, intake and exhaust bolts work better when they're not just hand tight.

A real gem :)

Well I have added a few more since the last post. I made the run to WY and got the 56 Imperial 4dr that was supposed to be a parts car, but it isn't in that bad of shape for what I do, soooooo..

The guy finally got the title for the first 56 Imperial after a year and 3 months, so I went and picked that up along with a 62 Dodge D100 rolling chassis with a polyhead 318 , and manual trans that was part of another deal I did the same week. I was scrolling through the OfferUp posts and saw a wedge truck - a drive on race car hauler-that had been posted over a year ago. I looked right past the truck and sent a message on what was behind it. Ended up buying a 1960 International Harvester METRO delivery van. He tossed in the body for a shorty Dodge A100 pickup (van based), and the 62 Dodge chassis.

If I can figure out how to resize some pics on the phone I'll post some up of the herd.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:17 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I shock folks when I tell them I don't live in Socorro NM as "it's too built up for me".

Lol, such a brag.

I live outside of Mancos, Co.

Why shucks, it's so small that if you ask a local where Mancos is, even they don't know.  ;)

3 hours ago, Marc1 said:

NS ... do you still get africanised colonies in your corner of the woods? 

Africanized bees, yellow jackets, murder hornets. We've got all of it...especially dang varroa mites.

Youse guys have inspired me.  Gonna go work on the 74 Dart.  Swapping a leaky fuel sending unit. 

As for bolts being tight:  I once drove my old '68 ford ex phone company van that I used out in the oilpatch into my mechanic's telling them it was running rough.  After a while they came out and asked me if I had really driven it in from out in the patch. I told them yes and they brought me in to show me that the carburetor was bouncing up and down on it's bolts and you could see daylight between it and the block...I told them it was running rough...  Doing an interstate trip on a '62 Buick Special, I once had the fuel pump bolts come loose.  Luckily it had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and I had glanced at it and say it plummetting and was near an exit!  Turned the engine off and coasted off the interstate. Figured what was wrong, retightened the bolts and refilled with oil and back on the road.