I Forge Iron

Looking for critiques/tips/tricks on my first foundry!

On 6/25/2020 at 11:39 PM, Frosty said:

I made myself a waffle for dinner tonight,  Krusteaz wheat and honey mix, duck egg and milk, sausage patty layer of peanut butter and real maple syrup. 

Whoowee! I know what I'm making for dinner! Unfortunately no duck egg. I wish, the ducks around these parts are pretty gross. (City park ducks)

Waffles with crispy sides and a moist center is where is at. I do like drowning it all in syrup.

Molten metal is something I am not yet comfortable with.

The best waffles I have ever had come off my Sunbeam CG-1 waffle iron, and the plates are aluminum. Crispy outer with fluffy insides. Add butter and powdered sugar, peanut butter, apricot jam, or pomegranate jelly and have at it. Once the plates get seasoned they are non stick like cast iron.

The Sunbeam CG-1 was as close to commercial grade that you could get in a home waffle iron. 4x4 waffles so 64 sq" of waffle goodness at a time. I inherited Mom's that she got in 1950, and it still works like a champ.

I also want to cast custom waffle irons, and I am leaning towards aluminum.

We just bought a CHEFMAN Belgian waffle maker. Makes the best round waffles I've ever made. Chop up some pecans, add to the mix and smother them with real stick butter and pure maple syrup mmmm good. Our old waffle maker is a 4 square 40 year old Kenmore, makes OK waffles but can't hold a candle to the new one.

I have an Oster Belgian waffle iron and it works a treat, crispy brown on the outside and warm light cakey interior.

Amongst the other ghost projects lurking in the back of my mind is a cast iron MC Escher pattern waffle iron. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Which One?

Sure, make me get it down and squint at the itty bitty numbers cast into the plastic hinge/foot. Oh the things I go through for people I like. 

Oster by Sunbeam, mod. CKSTWF 2000

1080 watt

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know, beyond knowing one of his patterns would make a too cool waffle iron. I'd have to find my Escher book buried somewhere in basement to name one. One candidate was birds another after I moved to Alaska was IIRC bears. LIzards would make a cool panini press. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi ThomasPowers

Another new starter here trying to slow themselves down before they get burnt like Icarus.  Might be a long shot but do you know if there is anything similar in the UK or any types of organisation/people you could point me in the direction of that could help me on my journeys?

Not quite had my Firstforge