I Forge Iron

I hate this hammer with a passion

bluerooster

Well yeah you're an oddball, you had to ask? :rolleyes:

I've never held one of those hammers so I can't say how it'd effect my hand. I have a number of hammers with rubber handles including an Estwing hatchet I've had since Boy Scouts. They're: hard, smooth and slick but not slippery, I can swing them all day without worse hand wear than a wooden handle. 

What kind of grip is it? Does it have a lot of friction? Maybe soft foam? 

In past discussions guys have talked about using the friction tape you see on hockey sticks on their hammers . . Briefly for the blisters raised. Same for using rosin on them. I can't use the stacked leather hammer handles for the way they rub my hands raw, that's why I replaced my official Boy Scout hatchet with the Estwing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, it could be the handle but it could be your grip as well.  I know that when I’ve had too long a break from slamming steel I tend to grip the handle too tightly and beat up my hands something fierce.  Truth is, I looser grip with a little flexibility in the wrist can get you more power and a more comfortable grip.  Before you blame the hammer check to see if you aren’t squeezing the handle tightly.  I’d suggest you don’t wrap your thumb around the handle and, instead, run it along the length of the handle.  I do that and it forces me to keep a loose grip.  When my hands start to hurt I always check my grip and every time I find my thumb has snuck around the handle!

Lou

Good Morning Blue,

If you have such a dislike for the handle, Change It!!!  If you really don't like the Hammer, Trade it with someone who can use it.  If you dislike it, DON'T Use It!!  There is no rule in the Rule Book that you have to use 'That" Hammer.

Live a simple life form, don't simply live. Some people live to complain, and they do a good job of complaining. Problem is, after a while, there is nobody who will listen!!

Neil

My sons hammer has a rubber grip on it and I can stand it, but will certainly move metal around. He used to love it, but won’t use it anymore either. Says it’s to “sticky”. Your not an odd ball, just re-handle it and you’ll probably love it.

Except for the complaining part, I was thinking the same thing as Swede. 

But if the fingerless golf glove helps, just go with it. When golfing I usually don’t wear a glove, but have to wrap tape around my middle finger on my right hand and left ring finger. I get blisters there if I don’t.

Two reasons to leave the handle alone are: you may not like the balance after putting a new handle in it and I’ve heard that sort of handle material transmits less shock to your wrist.  No clue if that is actually true though. 

I have a few hammers with rubber handles. Can't say the bother me much at all, but if they did ... all you need is to wrap over the rubber with a cotton bandage.

I like fingerless gloves too. Hard to find good ones. There was a guy selling them for wheelchair users in ebay UK. 

As for the patronising lessons in life ... what can you do? No point getting upset. Sometimes I picture them declaming in front of a mirror haranguing imaginary crowds and taking selfies .... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing special about the head, but as a whole it's well balanced, and can be swung accurately all day with little effort. Just the handle causes blisters.

I'd thought about replacing the handle, but I'm afraid of upsetting the balance. So I'll continue to wear my glove I guess.

Most smiths (myself included) that I have talked to don't like to wear gloves when hammering.  It seems to do two things: (1) reduce sensitivity when hammering and (2) causes one to have to grip the hammer more tightly for control.  You shouldn't have to use a tight grip on your handle, just let it "float" for lack of a better term.  Try using a wooden handled hammer as much as possible and the blisters will shortly become callouses and you won't be bothered any longer.  I can't tell from the photo, but if it's possible I would replace that handle with a wooden one and give it a try.