I Forge Iron

Which gas forge to purchase?

78sharpshooter

I am considering buying a forge this time since my time is focused on building hydraulic presses. My budget is between $1000 to $1500 or so and wanted to see what members here would recommend in this price range. I need it to be sized for large blade billets and up to 3" round bar billets.

3 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

For that price you can buy a Chili forge. Hydraulic presses indicates a desire to forge fast. So, you will probably want a very fast heating forge: that means Chile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I watched Chile forge grow over the years but wondered if the forced air Ribbon burner has recently overtaken any tube venturi burner ever developed 

Oh no, gun (blown) ribbon burners made with the current plans aren't that good a burner. No burner that blows several FEET of flame out the doorways is a good burner. It may get hot but it's burning propane outside the forge heating the shop and poisoning the air in the shop with CO. It's just a design mistake I'd like to see corrected. 

I addressed the mistake with NARB the Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner which provides a good hot flame that is very stable flame from stop to stop on an adjustable regulator. That's <0 - >30 psi. not that it stays stable under about 4psi, it overheats and begins burning back in a few hours and maxing the propane pressure will indeed make excessive dragon's breath wasting fuel, oxygen and safe air to breath. CO is no joke, EVER. 

The short answer to your last question is NO. There are lots of NA (venturi) that are as hot and much more efficient than the current home built gun ribbon burners.

Frosty The Lucky.