I Forge Iron

I can barely understand your post since your  proof-reading seems nonexistent.   but if you said what I think you were trying to say,   I have seen graphite crucibles, not graphite molds.  We dont melt things in a mold.  And I dont let it harden in the crucible, I use an actual mold that breaks away

If you try to type complete sentences it would help things a lot, your profile says you are form Georgia so I would assume you speak English and are not using a bad translator program

2 hours ago, Forger29 said:

I just bought a new graphite mold for melting and after letting the ingot I just pour harden it got stuck to the mold. I don't know went wrong.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you but if I'm reading this nearly meaningless mish mosh right. I don't think you should be playing with something as dangerous as molten metal.

I don't think you've read anything about casting, you don't even know the names or uses of the most basic tools. If you're going to say something like, "I meant (correct term) I just got them mixed up." you aren't paying enough attention to detail to be messing with dangerous stuff. 

Get off Youtube or blogs, go to the library and check out a book. Real paper book about casting. Better still, take a class. If you're not old enough to take a class you're not old enough to be doing something as dangerous as melting metal. Even low melting temp metals will do you serious injuries at the slightest mistake. Think 2nd. & 3rd. degree burns on large areas of your body. A couple drops of water can blow 10lbs. of molten aluminum 30f' in the air and spread it that far in every direction. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

So I did 3 hours out of cast iron  mold...

The 4 pour got stuck in the mold  cold in Michigan  now ..... so what to do now????  If can please Remove email address per TOS send a PM   Please and thanks 

Edited by Mod30
email address removed

Dear Jeff,

Welcome aboard.  Unfortunately, your posting did not make a lot of sense to me.  What metal are you melting and pouring into a mold?  Aluminum?  Brass? Lead? Pewter? Bronze? Silver?  And what kind of molds are you using?  Please clarify and we can give you more useful answers. 

Usually, responses are posted here, not as emails.  I may send this as an email too and hope that this is not a scam which will open me up for loads of spam.  I'll have to think on that for awhile before I actually decide.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Mr. Jeff,

You will have a much better experience and gain much more from this site after carefully reading the "read this first' sticky posted above.

Good luck with that. It will really be worth your time.

Cheers,

SLAG.

• 1 month later...

Mistyping on a forum to ask a question does not mean he is dumb or incapable. He was looking for legitimate replies. If you are unable to give one without bashing then there is no need to reply. Move on.

B4dWolf, I was unaware that you had been appointed as a moderator on this forum.  We often get people who are unfamiliar with terminology and it is not uncommon to ask for clarification before a person is able to offer a cogent, useful reply, e.g. the difference between smelt and melt.  We try to be helpful but we need to understand the person's problem first.

Given the fact that we have not heard back from the original poster in 2 months indicates to me that either he/she was not serious or that it was some sort of internet scam attempting to get email addresses.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

He probably went elsewhere for answers bc your all sticklers for terminology even though we are all here to learn more. Also i wasnt specifically talking about your reply. Yours is actually the most composed and gives off decent vibes. Tbh didnt even see yours till after i posted. 

Edited by B4dWolf

If he cant use words we understand we cant give any answers, perhaps your magic powers can explain what he wants to the rest of us lowly mortals?

12 hours ago, B4dWolf said:

He probably went elsewhere for answers bc your all sticklers for terminology even though we are all here to learn more.

If everyone isn't talking about the same thing it could create a situation where someone is offering dangerous advice. It's not about being a stickler but about being clear. If we all use the same terms it makes it easier for everyone involved. Smelting and casting is the two I see getting confused the most. Smelting is turning raw ore into metal while casting is melting metal and putting it in a mold. If someone asks for advice on smelting but was really meaning casting you can see where the confusion could happen. Blacksmithing and old crafts have their own jargon just like people who build computers have their own jargon. A CPU and a motherboard aren't the same but to someone like myself who doesn't know much about computers they could easily confuse the two. 

Pnut