I Forge Iron

"French pig"

Hello. This supposedly French miracle fell into my hands. I ask you for help in identifying this "pig." To my great regret, she suffered a sad fate and she was broken in two at some point in time. The damage is visible in the photo and I think that the crack increases during operation. Please share your opinion on how I better fix it. I want to bring it as close as possible to its original state. Maybe I should use welding?

w9Ib96lcgHE.jpg

1CCcgPY6ijc.jpg

dfMv77PUy3Q.jpg

I7OJ6tvplPY.jpg

jl8S6p_V6kE.jpg

RhyFi-_KOsg.jpg

thhp3O7cANY.jpg

U-a1g6cMISU.jpg

Poor piggy! 

I don't think you're going to have much luck repairing that, not knowing whether it's wrought iron with a steel face or cast steel. Even if it is something that can be welded, it would take so much time and material to fix that you would probably be better off keeping it as it is now. The old repair is rather interesting, and it's probably better as a collector's item than as a working anvil.

Good Morning,

Welcome to IforgeIron.

I would not weld it!! I would use it like it is. Do not hammer over top of the crack, hammer over top of the section with the most support from the legs. It looks like someone machined into the side and bolted in a section. There is rust in the crack, so it has been repaired a long time ago. Enjoy it for what it is!! Use it accordingly!!

Neil

Thanks so much friends. I'd like to make the only right decision what to do with this part of the blacksmith's history. I also want to wait for the advice of one wonderful person from Alaska who has cool Soderfors))

Now I feel like I'm on the spot! Gee thanks Dmitriy. I wouldn't mess with it, it's been broken and repaired for a long time. There is a lot of space and rounding in the break which tells me it was repaired probably when it broke and years of use have rounded the edges. Welding won't make it like new other maybe it's looks. I think I'd officially retire it to display and find another anvil to use.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you friends. I really like your forum and the people who are here! I want to listen to you and leave everything as it is, but the second half of me wants to make some efforts and give a second life to this old non-horrible instrument. I will definitely share my result with you if I still decide to fix it.

18 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Я согласен с этим не сваривать. Я бы использовал его как есть для легкой работы (без ударов большими молотками), похоже, он использовался много раз с момента уникального ремонта. Какой у нее вес? Я знаю, опасно спрашивать даму, сколько она весит.:лол:

Я не знаю точный вес, но примерно 120-140 кг.

We like you too Dmitriy, it's folk like you that make this such an interesting and refreshing forum. I enjoy figuring out what a person means through translation program weirdness.:huh: It keeps my brain stimulated in a good way. :)

Here's a thought. So far we've only been talking about your Pig but the block it's on right now is looking pretty old and soft. It's probably not the right height for you either.

So, I'd recommend a new anvil stand and in this case a wooden block or vertical timber stand. In this case were I mounting it for use I think I'd form fit the block to the underside of the anvil with mortises for the feet so they can't move. This would support the pig completely so it wouldn't suffer more from use. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Good idea. A stand that tightly fits the entire underside would be fairly easy to make. I would just notch the corners to accommodate the feet: easier than full mortises and keeps the piggy's piggies visible.

(For the non-English-speakers, "piggies" is an idiom for "toes".)

You are right, stand is a very important point. The stump that is visible in the photo is a temporary option and I do not work on it. I will deal with the stand right after I make a decision regarding the fate of the pig. And thanks for the idea with slots for the legs! A very interesting and practical fixation solution. Thank you.