I Forge Iron

Mineral looking things in the ashes of a charcoal fire

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O K A Y. . . You are responding to . . . . :huh:?

I forgot to answer your question about peafowl being dangerously aggressive. Think big old Embden gander but with a beak that can tear flesh and spurs on taloned feet. They aren't necessarily aggressive and neither are chickens but if you've run across a rooster having a bad day you know how they can be.  A Banty rooster can draw blood, picture one weighing maybe 10+ lbs.

I like geese, they're smart and learn quickly the tall critter with thumbs doesn't bully easily. A quick grab for their neck right under their head and lift them for a little eye to eye communications works a treat, One and Done. It doesn't injure them, don't squeeze, they can't bite and if they try to beat you with their wings they hurt themselves. It rarely takes more than a few seconds for them to calm down and go into limp prey submission. Of course being the one who feeds them helps too. Great watch animals.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, so a bantee rooster who weighs 10 lbs. I just chased one [bantee roo] around for my neighbour a little while ago because he was getting a bit too frisky with the hens. He’s staying outside for the night so the hens can have some peace. 
My neighbour had geese after the ducks, and his gander, Homer, would chase him around all the time. Kind of put me off getting a goose for a while, even though I wanted one as a guard. That’s also why I wanted a peacock. I had read that they make nice guards - not quite as good as a goose, but still adequate - but they also looked pretty. 

We all get in a rush. We end up scaling the outside or even burning it trying to heat the steel to fast. You weld tool steel at yellow, and other steels can be welded cooler than you think.  Clean, flat, heat and pressure are what makes forge welds. As Tap is fond of pointing out, NASA had problems with parts desire welding in space. So that was perfectly clean, perfectly mated and under pressure (bolted or riveted) but not glowing hot... so their is hope for us mere mortals. Get is as clean as you can, as well matched as you can (forging slightly curved  surfaces  together matches them) and just hot enough with just the right pressure. 

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

So is Frosty "Die" now and we're the "Tap and Die" Duo?

I don't think I'll go back and find the context for a snappy comeback. I assume I meant to write DYE somewhere? I hope it was a funny typo.

I'm hoping to meet up at Quad State one of these days and let the spectators decide what kind of duo we make. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, everyone, I’m back. 

I took a few months off to tend to my garden, but with winter approaching, I thought I’d come back. 

I built a firepot to what I thought Charles’ design was, but I completely flubbed it up. It barely could get steel to an orange temp. So I came back, looked at Charles’ design again, and cried quietly for a minute or so. 

I built it 6” deep. As far as I can tell, Charles’ is 3 1/2”. Mine is also very narrow on the top; Charles’ is much wider.

I’ll send some pics later. Then I’ll see if there’s anything I can salvage from the old pot, and re-build it. Properly this time.

Chris

Chris, this year's Toastmasters' champion (not sure if national or international) spoke on "The victory is in the try." You have made one more charcoal forge than you previously had, and at least one more than I have. 

Selfish question, since I'm a few steps behind you on the path: what did you learn?