I Forge Iron

Efficient heat use/reduced fuel use

I'm about to do a project, a finnish knife from auto spring steel, i am going to work in a proper smithy with more or less full gear, but the problem is that coal and coke is a pain in the xxx to find where i live, (west coast sweden) and highly expensive, so im considering to use techniques showed by joey van der steeg to effectivize my forge's fuel use, and to recruit a striker to be able to excert maximum power into the stock, does this seem like a good idea? Suggestions? 

The forges at the SOFA workshop have electric blowers that have a foot switch that you have to stand on for them to run. Saves a lot of coal and steel!   Bellows and hand crank blowers also have more of "off when not actively heating metal" functionality.

You don't mention the details of the shop you will be using.  Have you tried an induction heater?   Rework the system to use charcoal rather than coal?  What is you skill level?  Do you have experience using a striker?  If not how do you plan to practice before working on a specific project?

13 hours ago, Smeden gegen said:

west coast sweden

Welcome aboard...

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it in this thread. READ THIS FIRST  There are many other tips and some will help in flying under the moderators radar.

@ThomasPowers

It's an old traditional swedish smithy, just a regular solid fuel forge and and a (kohlswa?) London anvil, but also a power hammer powered by a small windmill. 

I have some experience in striker work, but the guy i'm considering to "employ" is quite inexperienced, and a bit sloppy, so might have to train him on some mild steel

I dont have any pics, they will come later

Bottom blast forge, most forges in sweden that have survived the test of time are bottom blast

I do make my own charcoal ocassionally, which is good but you already know the facts of coal/coke/charcoal 

The thought i had with all this is that if i'm extremely conservative with the fire, take it slow with the heats, and use a striker to "mash out" the round bar to flat, good or bad idea? Should i take my time with it? 

Slower heats will help with fuel consumption, if you need yellow heat to forge, a white hot fire isn’t nesisary.

A striker or the wind mill powers hammer will certainly move steel faster than a single Smith with a hand hammer.

The bottom blast forge is a product of the Industrial Age and cheap cast iron. The iron tools of most of your history were forged in small side blast forges (20-25mm tuyeres) burning charcoal, heating 15cm at a time. 

This side of the pond some smiths have found maze to be an alternative that behaves much like coal in a bottom blast forge. 

Also, improved technice moves steel more efficiently as well.Jeniffer has some great videos and that lady can move steel.