I Forge Iron

Ceramic fiber blanket

Has anybody bought ceramic fiber blanket from Home Depot and used it in their Forge I'm building a gas forge I have fire brick I'm about to order the mortar I just need to know where to get the ceramic fiber blanket then I can start building my new Forge any input would be appreciated thanks ahead

Welcome aboard Monkey, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll discover how many members live within visiting distance.

NO MORTAR!!! Do NOT build a propane forge based on plans specifying refractory mortar or cement in any way, they are BAD PLANS. Mortar and cement are formulated to stick bricks together and WILL NOT survive long in direct flame contact. The inside of the forge will flake and crumble with mortar for a flame face. 

Buy a proper water setting alumina refractory, Kastolite 30 is a 3,000f hard refractory that is also a better insulator than dense hard refractories. 

You can buy small quantities for not bad prices at the IFI store.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST   Also reading through the sticky Forges 101 will help you in building your forge. this thread is especially helpful. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/61288-my-consolidated-notes-for-new-forge-builders/

What is 100 ht? That's like asking if I should use a 61E or the 782V? Designation numbers are meaningless without knowing what the product is. 

The only thing you'll get with such vague questions is a bunch of people guessing at what you mean so the answers are more likely to be wrong than useful. Sure they're doing their best to help but it's not possible to provide a meaningful answer to a meaningless question.

Look, asking good questions is an acquired skill and depends on a few things from you. First YOU need enough basic knowledge to know what and how to ask. Secondly YOU need to have a good handle on the jargon (trade language) so the words you use mean the same thing to everybody. If you don't you have to explain what you mean rather than ask and receive good information and help.

Does that make sense? 

You ARE aware that building forges has been discussed for a couple few years, the most current section is "Forges 101." Have you done ANY reading there or did you just ask? 

Frosty The Lucky.