I Forge Iron

Little Smiths

My 8 year old grandson has taken an interest in blacksmithing.
He has gradually went from occasionally cranking the blower for me.....and asking "What does this tool do?" to wanting to hammer some steel himself.

So far , so good. But now, I must go into the archives and do some research on exactly how to go about teaching him.....properly. I remember there being some threads which discuss this subject.

I started out by finding him a smaller hammer 1&1/2 lb.....setting up a little forge where he could sit down as he learned hammer control, etc.

My thinking is to keep things simple so there are not so many things to learn at once.......If possible.

This is a good time for me to consult the 'wisdom of the community'!

My idea is to keep it 'safe'.......'fun'........ and a learning experience.

At this point, he is just learning where to place the stock in the fire for proper heating.......how to adjust the air gate to get the amount of heat needed.....that a yellow heat is hotter than a dull red heat (and easier to forge) etc.

His first forging was to taper a round rod to a point. As soon as he got done with the taper he asked "What can I make with this?"
I answered "Well,........you could make a hook."

To which he replied......."What's the hook for?"
Kids will keep you on your toes!

Using the smaller hammer and sitting down at the forge are just ideas I came up with........and may.......or may not be good ideas.

What do you guys think?

James Flannery
Bubbysmithing_015.jpg

If you don't mind I think standing gives better body movement and aids in mechanics. a bit of flex at the knes and keep hips directed towards that anvil and working right in front of yourself will be ingrained and set forever. That will also put him ahead of a lot of folks that are learning to smith. I have taught a lot of folks and those that had not developed those simple skills were tough to get to change. So nice to see you have a forgeing buddy.. Keep up the good work.

That is awesome James, it's always great when your kids or grandkids take an interest. Other than mentioning to him that long sleeves and pants might cause less pain I think you are on the right track. I guess letting him learn about hot scale through direct experience is a good thing too!

Instead of a hook, maybe a support for a campfire set or a tent stake. Ask him what he'd like to make, for himself or his mom or dad. basic things like you said but with lots of fun bends and twists.

I always make my kids wear jeans and boots when forging and wear my old farriers apron. Also it just looks awkward hammering while sitting.

As for the hook from the point, mine drew a point then proceeded to try to turn the pointed rod into a sword! Fairly good effort till he burnt the "blade" in half :)

They are both a bit less ambitious now and are getting their skills up on the mundane exercises of making pokers, hooks and modifying tongs.

Cheers

At this time all I know is heat and beat, Haven't really made anything except a knife from a RR spike, But the short that I've been doing this my 11&6 yr old boyz want to try. I don't think I will discourage them in this endeavor. I'll let them have my 60lb anvil. I found a 250lb a 152lb and a 162 lb yesterday and asap I will pick them up. When you find the old posts let me know,may be helpful.

thanxRich

From a safety perspective I think standing is better. If he needs to move quickly it is easier to do when your already on your feet. Ear protection is something to think about. Tent pegs are a good, simple starting project, s hook, drive-hook. STart working the skills that will get him towards a toasting fork or better yest make a steak turner. Lot's of drawing out, bending and twisting. give him a piece of stock and see how far he can draw out the last three inches.

I bet by Christmas he'll be making all the gifts he needs to give.

James,
I think if he stood up at the anvil and while at the forge it`d probally be safer and probally better. show him how to make a hook then show how to make a poker and shovel then tongs and then you 2 could work on his forge( or if that one is his maybe make some improvemnnts or something) .

Also I`am 5'4 . So Am i a short smith also? :)
Chris:)

I think its a great idea. I started my 7 year old out at an Alabama forge council meeting. He now has his own anvil, hammers, etc and he just turned 9 last month. We make things like turn screws, wall hooks for grandma and mom, and he even did a 1/4 square hook with twist for his girlfriend.
He did a special presentation with picts of us at the forge for his cub scout pak. The pak leaders awarded him a special merit badge for blacksmithing which is not in the bear cub book. They made one up for him.
Go with it as long as you can keep him intrested. There is no greater feeling in the world than to have a grand-son or daughter say 'I want to go spend a week with grandpa and grandma'

There are a lot of projects you can do with 1/4" square stock and it's fairly easy to work with a small hammer.

A face shield would be my suggestion. As well as making a set up with smaller tools and low anvil for him. For my kids I have always tried to modify real tools for them rather than toy tools as the real things are made better! (and you can borrow them back when you need small tools for a tricky area...)

One of my youngest daughters "birth" gifts from our friends was a small anvil...she's 19 now...

LOOL im 4'11 or 5'

anyway my neibour is 7 and his brother is 12 but needless to say the 7 year old awlys comes over and watches and wines it i let his brother hold a piece of steel so i can split it. he awlys wants to hammer but his dad hosent want him to... ill keep tryin

I think the only things I'd do differently is put him in long sleeves, pants and shoes and have him stand at the anvil.

Safety and posture are really important. Getting him into the craft at 8 is perfect. Even if he doesn't pursue it the things he learns about listening, patience and persistence will serve him well all his life.

You're a lucky guy James.

Frosty

Rich, I,m going to set up a slightly taller forge for him (and anvil too) so he can try standing, as you suggest. I noticed at his first session that he was doing some bending , stretching and reaching that seemed awkward.

Larry, my grandson has already learned the lesson of hot scale on the bare legs. He will be wearing long pants. His first session was a very hot day....he didn't have any long pants available.....but insisted on trying anyway.

Glenn has suggested that my grandson should try 'choking up' on the hammer handle and using a 'Hofi' hammering technique........we will be trying that also.

Several of you guys noticed that I named this thread 'Little Smiths'.
Being that Chris is a Little League ball player,.....I also think of him as a 'Little Smith'.
Little League coaches these days stress not doing injury to young bones and muscles that are still growing and developing.
That's why learning to hammer and otherwise work at the forge correctly is important.
I also think of him as little in the sense that he is young and inexperienced.........That reminds me to keep a watchful eye on him at all times.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions,

James Flannery