I Forge Iron

Soderfors anvil, 149 funt, 1917s №5

Hello, my name is Dmitry. I am from Belarus (once part of the USSR). I don’t almost understand English and use Google translator, so sorry in advance for possible errors. I recently purchased an anvil and want to find out as much information as possible about it. Please tell us everything you know about her because in my homeland they don’t know anything about her. And I will be very grateful if you tell me how to care for her. How to restore it and what is its possible cost. Thank you very much in advance!

xCGTKvJE5hA.jpg

hi2QFHKw4bw.jpg

mw0tKxjWAhA.jpg

njHszsXc_NA.jpg

2rF4PaAyWQY.jpg

3jbfiujUluM.jpg

1msT07fEr5g.jpg

8ATw8ncfNEQ.jpg

5X8yxgM8aRU.jpg

Well the major thing that anvil needs is a lot of red hot steel pounded on it!  Wire brush off the rust, give the sides a coat of linseed oil and it's good for another 100 years!

Do NOT grind, mill or weld on the face as that damages the anvil's usability. Remember anvils are not supposed to have sharp edges as they cause damage to the workpiece.

28 minutes ago, Dmitriy said:

I am from Belarus

Welcome aboard Dmitriy. We won't remember your location, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. This thread will explain a lot about using the forum. READ THIS FIRST

We have some members who love their Soderfors anvils. I am sure they will confirm that you have a fine one. Thomas has said it better than I could.

Welcome aboard Dmitriy glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header folk within visiting distance can meet up more easily.

Soderfors are top shelf anvils, as good as they get. The little bit of swale (dishing) in the face won't have any effect on it's use. Brush off the rust and Oil wax, paint or leave bare. Don't do anything to the face but beat HOT steel / iron on it, that will shine it up nicely. 

I have a 125 lb. Soderfors anvil and I've never struck a finer anvil, there are equals but none better. 149 lbs. is an excellent size, heavy enough to do pretty heavy work but still light enough to move without having to get help. 

That is a SWEET find, congratulations. All she needs is a good stand and some hot steel and hammers on her. She has several generations of good work in her, your great grad children can brag about you and the things you made on her.

Frosty The Lucky.

many thanks to all of you! I find it very difficult to navigate your forum, but I'm glad that there are people like you. Having received information from you, I realized that I got something rare and expensive, I think it will become a relic of my family. I will fix the anvil on an excellent oak stump and I will pay tribute to it by forging steel on it!

You're welcome Dmitriy, it's our pleasure. Everybody finds it hard to navigate the forum, don't feel alone.

Once you get your anvil mounted you're in for a treat. She's a fine old lady. 

Frosty The Lucky.